Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2002, 06:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

Premature Engine Failure - Boxster

I bought a 1997 boxster in April 2002. After a mere 4 months I have experienced an engine failure. The car is in very good condition and has done only 55,000 miles with a full porsche service history. I have now been quoted £9,500 UK Pounds (approx. $14,000 USD) to replace the engine.

Porsche UK and Germany have failed to deliver upon a request for support in the costs considering I could have achieved a much higher trouble free mileage with almost any other low cost car brand.

Porsche have now lost a lifelong customer as I was considering giving this car to my wife and buying a new shape boxster S in 2003.

BUYER BEWARE!

dazzling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 03:36 AM   #2
Forum Member

After writing serval letters of dissapointment to Porsche with little or no reponse other than aquick call to advise that they would not be providing any financial support I decided to call the local dealer sales office.

In short I was told that this (intermediate shaft) was not such a common failure (something i do not belive after much reading and discussion with other users). More disturbingly I was told that i expect to much of the porsche brand if i was crazy enough to belive that they would pay any costs of repair after 5 years.

The relvancy of 5 years i do not understand....55,000 miles for an engine i do understand to be very poor from a company like
Porsche.

Expect a small but informative website soon warning others and maybe an online petition against them. I am not one for complaining but their arrogance has pushed me too far!
dazzling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 12:14 PM   #3
JT
Administrator and Founder

This is a little off track. But, unlike some other sites, you are free to post what you like and don't like about your car. I have seen other people get flamed for speaking in a negative manner about their car. However, the truth of the matter is, this is an open forum so we can share with others what we know . If I decide to keep you from discussing a certain topic, it would be an injustice to the other members. Afterall its the information that lets us make informed decisions.

JT
Old 09-23-2002, 09:03 PM   #4
Forum Member

Question

As a first time/new owner, this scares me. Is this common?

I have recently picked up a 1999 model from the dealer. They have certified it and I have had them work on all oil seals under warranty when I saw a drop in my driveway. They had my car for a week and had 4 pages of work done.

This is my 20 mile freeway daily commuter (total both ways) with mild attitude. Factory warranty is due to expire in 5 months.

What are your opinions about Warranty Gold? Is is worth it or not?

Thank you in advance.
quitinathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 04:59 PM   #5

Talking Paranoia

I too am a fairly new Boxster owner ('99 Boxster bought used). I have read a lot about engine failures over at PPBB and it has made me rather paranoid too. But, on the other hand, you would have to think that the odds are probably not that great that YOU will experience this kind of catastrophic failure. Knock on wood. Porsche did have some runs of bad (porous) engine blocks and such, the engine sleeve thing is another one. So far so good and mine has about 47K on it. Hope for the best and try to be less paranoid about it, that is about all you can do. I don't know anything about the Warranty Gold, but if it would give you peace of mind, I guess you should find out about it.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:21 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to entdr1
I appreciate being able to search the archives for posts like this. I am buying "near new" 97, with only 4200 miles. I am buying the warranty because of the porous block issues leading to engine failure. I have heard that Porsche has helped some people with this issue, even well out of warranty. I talked to Porsche N.A. yesterday, and the rep would not even comment on the problem. No denial, no admittance, just no comment. Our service rep at the local Porsche dealer told me about it when I took the car in for an inspection. He recommended the service agreement because of the cost of a new engine, and said that the 4200 miles is well under that amount that really "tests" to see if the engine block is sound.

I don't know if you are still a member of the club or read the boards, but thanks.

Thom
Indiana
entdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 07:59 AM   #7

The "catastrophic engine failure" issue is one that plagues us un-wealthy Porsche owners. I don't know what I would do if faced with a $14k engine replacement bill. That's more than half what I paid for the blinking thing!
Plus, it's like getting a car back after a serious crash ... it's never quite the same as it was before.
If the failure could be definately traced to some kind of known manufacturing defect (porous block, for example) I would think an uncooperative manufacturer might be made somewhat more cooperative by a discussion with an attorney. Maybe not a freebie motor, but some "help" anyway.
I would think that second, and subsequent, owners are in a much weaker position than an original owner, however.
Some years ago I had a leaky head gasket ruin the V-6 engine in a Chevy S10 pickup about 2000 miles after the warranty ran out. Fortunately I had complete maintenance doc showing oil changes, anti-freeze replacement, etc. In the end GM split the cost of a new engine with me, so it ended up costing me about $1,300 instead of twice that. An object lesson for keeping that Boxster maintenance record clean, guys! Two hundred dollar oil changes and $1000 major maintenance bills are expensive, but a lot less than having to swallow a new-engine bill.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:36 AM   #8

I will be selling my 97 (38,000 miles) next summer because i can't quit thinking about catastrophic engine failure. Those words scare the hell out of me + I have been shopping for something with a little more power, mostly I have been looking at Lotus
Automon
Automon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:49 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
i know all engines can go at any time, but is 97 the only year where this should be a major concern? I have a 2000 S and i defenately fall into the non-rich porsche owner market.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:36 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to entdr1
I think I have researched this as much as it can be researched online and by calling Porsche NA. From my "research", the issue was definitely worse in the 97-99 (first half) model years for the Boxster engine. The casting of the blocks was subbed out, and some of them were porous, some were not. There was to be a quality control inspector of all of the engines/blocks, but I don't know how that person could inspect the inside of casted metal to know if there were bubbles/etc. that could eventually leak. I suppose that could be done with x-ray technology or laser scanning (as is done with underground petroleum tanks for instance), but I don't know if Porsche did/does that or not.

Our local Porsche tech told me that they replaced "several" engines in the 97-99's, and Porsche paid for all of the ones under warranty. I am buying a 97, and because of the issue, I got it inspected and am purchasing the maintenance agreement. It will cost me $800/year, but I don't want to absorb a $12K (minimum)engine hit. As I understand also, there is not a "fix". Once the porous block issue occurs, it allows the gas and oil to mix and you may start to notice a sludge in the coolant check port, though I have read posts that say that there was no warning, just "catastrophic engine failure" to use one of our forum member's terms.

What happened to make the problem go away in 99? I can't find that information anywhere, but welcome it if any of our other members know the answer. Sleeving the cylinders in an attempt to fix leaks was apparently another major disaster, as the sleeves would come loose from the remaining outer portion due to improper seating problems, and then simply "seize up." Ouch.

If you put "porous block problems" (and don't specifically ask for Porsche), into your internet search engine, you will quickly find that it is not a unique problem to Porsche. Land Rover had big problems with it, as has Ford and Chevrolet. Many of them blame the "outsourcing" of casting and poor quality control, others don't blame or take blame. I guess we just hope that our motor got inspected, and gamble or not gamble with a maintenance contract if your car will pass the inspection, which certainly isn't a given. The other issue is maintenance agreements. They can be a curse or godsend. I am buying the one that our Porsche dealership reccs. just so they do the hassling with them, not me. Also, there are alot of fly by night sellers of maintenance agreements I am told, and when you turn in a claim, they are busted. se la vi when you are selling risk contracts.

Best to all.

Thom
entdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:19 AM   #11

Thanks thom! That certainly helps me breathe a little easier. although it is a complete drag for any 97-99 owners.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:36 AM   #12

A LOTUS instead of a Porsche??? Talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire ...
It could be that the new (to the US) Lotus Elise or Elois or whatever their E-word is this time, is a paragon of reliability. If so, that would run counter to forty or so years of Lotus tradition.
There may be many reasons for buying a Lotus instead of a Porsche, but expecting better reliability isn't one of them.
Automon, I beg you , I PLEAD with you, to remember:
Porsche. There is no substitute.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:14 PM   #13

Agree, Porsche to Lotus IS a strange move!
Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:14 PM   #14

I do not like Lotus, but if I understand correctlly they have gone to the Toyota Celica GTS motor.

Reliabilty can't be that bad with that type of motor.

Now the rest I cannot speak for...
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 04:38 PM   #15

thats what i dont get -- i dont find the elise good looking at all...looks like an eclipse ate an MR2 -- neither of which is particularlt good looking to me. and then to cram a toyota motor in there to boot? and have the nerve to charge $40,000 for it? i dont get it. I dont think the Lotus name carries that kind of weight.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:49 PM   #16
Lux

I think the Elise would be a cool 4th car. But why don't you get an '04 S instead? There's terrific deals now and you'll get 4 years of "worry-free" warranty.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 01:51 AM   #17
porsche986

Hi, i cant understand some of the posts here.. getting rid of the boxster because you cant get engine failure out of your head...

Thats crazy... i mean there is more chances of having a blow out that engine failure... I must say this, stay away from lotus there ugly little go carts nothing more nothing less and one crash in a lotus kiss your ass good bye. The people who buy lotus are after cheap thrills, stick with porsche i mean you cant call every porsche boxster engine problem beware just because of a few problems.. as for me i wouldnt like the idea of an engine failure but everything is repairable.. The whole idea of owning a boxster/porsche is not paying the monthly payments but the running and repair bills. I suppose i am lucky as my boxster is paid for so any problems i have with it aint that much of a problem. But i will never get shot of my boxster.. and NEVER consider a lotus which stands for lots of trouble usually serous.

my dad has a ferrari 355 and he thinks the boxsters shape, sound and performance is awsome. As for boxster power the boxster is a powerful car but its also practical. I bought my boxster for the amazing looks, handling, and at 221 bhp its not a slow car. I dont think a lotus even plays in the same park as the boxster.

Has anyone looked inside of an elsie at a garage, i have its a joke... it looks like a kids play car.. i mean how are you supposed to control this car.. windy day, doing about 90mph over a bump, hood down... you will take off..

I havent seen or heard one good thing about the lotus elsie.
Also that MR2 spider, there are hundreds of them things all over the road.. my friend who owns a 2001 boxster also told me the people who drive the mr2 spider cant afford a boxster so they buy the wanna be boxster..

stick with porsche..

inside of an elise .. what a joke..
http://216.117.199.231/Lotus-Elise/Lotus-Elise-004.jpg

check this pic out.. its a shame they have to spce the car to make it stand out..

Last edited by porsche986; 08-17-2004 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:00 AM   #18

Jeez, it does look like an MR2. Which I don't think is a bad little car at all. It's just that it is in an entirely different class from a Boxster.
Whaddaya think those stripes would look like on a Speed Yellow Box? Way cool!!!
Old 08-17-2004, 05:12 AM   #19

So how do you guys really feel about Lotus? WOW you guys hate the idea. I will remember this quote because i think that it is great
"NEVER consider a lotus which stands for lots of trouble usually serous." I am not looking at the Elise I am looking at the Esprit I have always loved this car and i want one period. Tell me that this car is not beautiful. I think that it is just time for a change I will own another Porsche at some point in my life.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2486764933&category=6312

Thanks for the feedback
Automon
Automon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 06:13 AM   #20
porsche986

yer nice looking car... my friend who owns a garage has one in getting a new spoiler on and yer its a great looking machine but the cost of repairs is scary... when something goes wrong with a lotus its normally a big thing.. but its still a great looking car dude, thats the esprint NOT the elise...

but yer an esprint looks nice..

anyone seen that usa tv show PIMP YOUR RIDE..???

They had a old shape esprint in and wow they turned it into something i would kill for lol it looked amazing..
amagine what they could do to a boxster ...