Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #1

Car door lock

Yesterday my door locks started acting up. When I unlock the car (with the key, not the remote) the window goes down and I get in. Once inside I insert the key and start the car and the lock button on the dash lights up automatically. When I press the button to unlock the car horn beeps twice and then the light on the "lock" button goes off. Interesting?? I think so but the other part of it is when I get out to lock the car the window does NOT go down so the door will close due to the window. If I press the key FOB it will lock, but not unless I leave the window down an inch or so.

Can anybody tell me what to do?

97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #2

I just got through R&R the door mechanism. another thread "door lock mechanism " has others (myself included) with this problem.
Pelican Parts under the technical article tab has description of the replacement steps.

it appears that most of the problems are with the micro switch(s) inside the door mechanism. For me, it was a cold solder joint of the connector pins inside the door mechanism. Found this out by wiggling the connector. Not an expert, just happen to have fallen into this "pile of mud" one step ahead of you

google "boxster door lock" or "boxster door mechanism" and you will find wealth of info.. photos really helped me

good luck

Last edited by sb01box; 07-10-2010 at 08:08 AM.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #3

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
vw's, porsches and audis are a big family. it's a common failure on all of them...

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #4

I will check that out. Was the repair an easy one for you all?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 Boxster
I will check that out. Was the repair an easy one for you all?
1 hour using Pelican technical article as a guide.
need 8 mm 12 point (known also as tripple square or spline drive) to remove the two screws holding the door mechanism.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01box
1 hour using Pelican technical article as a guide.
need 8 mm 12 point (known also as tripple square or spline drive) to remove the two screws holding the door mechanism.

Just another note to all. My interior lights dont come on when the drivers door is opened either. Every 5 or 7 times I open the door the lights come on and the window goes down like it should. Seems like a short to me. Do I still need to replace the microswitch?