Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 06:39 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Dumping coolant.

My 01' Boxster S 6-spd w/ 60k on had the coolant light come on and start blinking. It didn't overheat,just dumped a ton of coolant,it shot from the overflow hose underneath the car from the passenger rear wheel area. I had a friend bring me distilled water,topped it off needed almost a full gallon,it wasn't leaking for 2 minutes,then it started flashing again and the temp rose very fast. Before it even hit the last bar I shut it off and had it towed. I noticed when the dude took it off the flatbed there was coolant now leaking from the front of the car as well. The tank didn't crack,there was no water in the rear trunk,and it has a new coolant cap,any suggestions? It's at a trusted shop in Sacramento...man this sucks! It's never overheated before. No CEL or any other lights came on except the flashing coolant light.

Nothing was done to the car recently that effected the cooling system. Only the fuel filter was touched on the car in the past 1k miles.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:52 AM   #2

Maybe when the fuel filter was replaced one of the coolant hoses that runs to or from the front radiators was damaged, or became disconnected.
You have to put some pressure on the tubes in order to clear the fuel filter.
Here's how the fuel filter is replaced: http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Replace_the_Fuel_Filter.html
Hopefully it just a loose hose.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 07-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #3

You may have had a hose near the radiators let go, or had one of the radiators themselves crack; not an uncommon failure point, particularly if you recently bottomed the nose of the car which can cause cracking at one of the radiator mounting points..........
Old 07-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #4

Thanks for the input fellas!

If there was an air bubble and I topped it off,the air bubble would still be in there unless I raised the bleeder valve correct? Or would it shoot itself out via the overflow hose?
Old 07-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Thanks for the input fellas!

If there was an air bubble and I topped it off,the air bubble would still be in there unless I raised the bleeder valve correct? Or would it shoot itself out via the overflow hose?
Depends upon where the air is, the air pocket will remain unless the bleeder is opened or the system is put under vacuum (the prefered method). Sometimes you don't get it all out easily with the bleeder open, and you still have to pull vacuum..........
Old 07-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #6

If the anti-freeze was under the driver's side rear

what would your theory on the source of the leak be? Had someone ask me the other day and I couldn't think of a reason...dumping 1/2 gal a trip and puddles on the floor he says.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:47 AM   #7

I've seen the "drip" show up in odd places, we had a bad water pump on a 987 dripping by the drivers rear wheel. Seems the coolant got into the undertray and ran down some lines on that side. It often has a lot to do with how the car was parked (level,not level, what amount of tilt, etc.). We also had a cracked radiator leaking both in the front and near the rear of a 986; again, the coolant was running down lines and the undertrays. These things are often an "Easter Egg hunt" until you get the car up in the air with the undertrays off.......
Old 07-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #8

Could it be possible that the coolant reservoir cap and/or bleeder valve needs replaced? Mine dumped a gallon of coolant once even though it was at normal operating temperature so I replaced both of those parts and haven't had an issue since.
BudmanV24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #9

Ugh car is at the shop...now the waiting game...
Old 07-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #10

One of the radiator fan motors went bad. It was the original.

R & R of the radiator fan and coolant system flush...$700.