Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 05:24 AM   #1

1999 boxster won't start

The car was running fine until one day, the engine started to trun on and then went dead. Now, there is a clicking sound when I turn the key, the lights/radio etc. all come on but the engine won't start. I've had the starter and the battery replaced but no luck. The mechanic thinks I might have to replace the entire motor. Could it be anything else? Help! There wer eno warning sign - not check engine light, nothing.

other.issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:37 AM   #2

ignition switch?

from another board:
"Hello, I am a new owner of a 2000 Boxster 2.7 and I cannot get the car to start now."
"Today I noticed that my odometer and stereo will stay on even after I take the key out of the ignition. Also, I can get in the car and turn on the stereo without even putting the key in."
"I got the new ignition switch today. Installed it and the car started right up without problems. I hope this helps someone in the future."
Old 07-02-2010, 06:10 AM   #3

First try and turn the motor over by hand. That will tell you real quick if you need a motor or not. Second check the connections for the battery cables at the battery, at the juction block on the top of the motor and at the starter. It sounds to me that you just have a poor connection and the starter is not getting enough juice to turn over.

Chris
amondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:42 AM   #4

flatbed it to a better mechanic

extanker is offline   Reply With Quote