Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 08:56 AM   #1

boxster funny noise (very clear when turning off the engine)

Hi all,

My car makes a funny sound every 30 seconds or so. When turning off the engine you can hear it quite clearly. Anybody recognizes it? Below is a video on youtube that shows it quite clearly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Z9J1iqaSE

Car is boxster 97 2.5.

Last edited by maurice vn; 03-24-2010 at 09:01 AM.
maurice vn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #2

Very interesting MR. Watson...I, Sherlock thinks it's a noise...........suggestion, have someone turn off the ignition and you listen through the side air vents. If a fan motor is running, it could be the noise of it winding down and going bad. Also, remove cover behind seat to access front engine. Again listen and see if you can hear any noises in this area. FIRST THOUGHT....it also almost sounds like a cd player whirlling down. I had one that a made that kind of noise when you stopped the cd. No, it wasn't in my Boxster.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #3

Sounds like a bilge pump to me. oh wait, does the boxster have a bilge pump?

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #4

sound like either the EVAP (charcoal) canister purge valve or the EVAP canister itself coming from your passenger side front fender.

After driving for awhile my Boxster would make this same sound whenever I shut the it off.

I tried changing the valve but the noise still persisted so I end up changing the canister as well and once I changed that, the 'whine' went away.

Not sure this applies to the MY97 but I'd pull the canister and get the numbers off of it first. I say this because I didn't and just ordered a valve and when that did not fix my problem, I ordered a canister. Apparently the MY99 (which i have) can possibly have one of two different canisters. As luck would have it I ordered the wrong one which did not have the correct attachment fitments or even a hole to insert the purge valve.

Luckily I was able to return it to Sunset and get the correct one, which, as my luck would also have it, had the valve already in it so I ended up wasting $100 on a valve I did not need.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #5

the noise comes ...

indeed from the passenger front side. So your suggestion is likely the right one. Wonder if the whining as such is a problem. Also, the noise is there periodically (every minute or so) when the engine runs but the engine noise is obviously louder.
maurice vn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #6

Is that what it was? Idheaton - how do you access it, from the front trunk area?
bv1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #7

You have to take the passenger side wheel off and remove the fender liner to access the cannister. After that you can see it clearly right under where the gas fill tube is.

- ian

Last edited by idheaton; 06-25-2010 at 08:56 PM.
idheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:20 AM   #8

Sounds like your pony's are escaping (heard in background).
Seriously though I would have never figured that out so I'm glad you started this thread in case my 09 ever starts making that noise.

Chris