Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #1

Garage
Best replacement rotor for 987 base model?

After 4 1/2 years, lots of DE's and 25K miles, the original rotors are showing lots of cracks around the holes--not connected yet or near the edge--and this just appeared after a 3 day DE. The fronts are about half worn in thickness, so I have some time but would expect them to get toasted at the next DE.

After doing a thorough search, it would seem that the choices are either OEM for about $250 a set or frozen OEM rotors for another $100+ . I have not found any solid or slotted disks for the base 987.

Has anyone had better luck with the cryo treated rotors over the standard OEM cross drilled rotors used at DE's? I can't say I have any beefs with the standard disk but would prefer a slotted disk if one were available.

thanks for any help.

Last edited by MikenOH; 06-08-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: edit
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
Pat

If you're really wanting the best rotor, as your post states, consider this .
Old 06-09-2010, 07:19 AM   #3

^Looks like this is the correct link, and price looks like it's for 1 only (need a pair).

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/2-Car/28-Brakes/240-Performance-Friction-Brake-Rotors/242-Porsche/item-1467-PERFORMANCE-FRICTION-DIRECT-DRIVE-ROTORS-PORSCHE-996-997-BOXSTER
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
You are correct, thank you.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #5

Garage
Pat:
thanks for the info.

If I was looking to upgrade to a S model size rotor this looks like a good way to go, but was thinking in terms of the stock sized rotor, which they don't offer.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Hi Mike,
I run with the Spec Box crowd quite a bit and no one I know has a magic bullet ultimate rotor. I was running a set of cheapie Balo rotors on the front but since I switched to R-comp tires last year my braking forces and heat increased exponentially. After 17 track days and a few AX events they were thoroughly BBQ'd and pretty warped. I just replaced them with a set of Zimmermans and fresh Raybestos pads. At $160 a set for 2 front rotors, if they last a year of DEs and Time Trials I figure I got my moneys worth.

My .02