Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #1

Garage
Anyone fabbed a custom exhaust

I'm checking into but looking for input on fabbing a custom exhaust, not for street purposes of course

I've read a lot of posts about the drone coming from "name brand" exhaust systems, and can't see dropping the cash on them. I'm also leery of the "chinese" systems on ebay, etc.

I have a local shop that has done work on GT3s etc. and I spoke to them today about the exhaust. They have assured me that quality of work wouldn't be an issue, but they can't guarantee I would get what I am expecting (better flow/sound, no low rpm drone). He admits that the "sound" is personal preference of the user, but he stated it will have a gain.

I've looked at Flowmaster who state online they have an application for Boxsters, with "no drone". But I'm about to call them.

Thanks for you input and I hope I'm not repeating an earlier post.

Haus

Old 09-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #2

Garage
Without knowing what your budget is, or a more specific idea as to the application you're seeking, it's difficult to give you advice. I will say, however, there's no inexpensive way to derive more power and better sound (subjective) out of the 986 boxster .
Old 09-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #3

Garage
I am considering building my own exhaust eventually. I did so with my MR2, and liked the results. I can't see paying the prices that the aftermarket thinks you should pay for a Porsche exhaust. It's just a car, not the Space Shuttle.

You might look into the Dynomax VT line of mufflers. It has a valve that supposedly eliminates or reduces drone.
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Eric523 did a nice custom exhaust on his 3.6L monster Boxster. It passed the 92db limit at Laguna Seca so it must not be terribly loud. He is in SoCal and his car is extremely fast.
3.6L Boxster GT Racer
Old 09-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #5

Garage
The problem that I discovered with trying to "fab" something using Flowmaster, Magnaflow or DynoMax mufflers was the weight . The typical weight of even a small "race" muffler or resonator from these brands was upwards of 7 lbs.. That's heavy ! However, when you get into some of the lighter weight, upper end brands like Burns Stainless, Coast or Lucas Fabrication, things get very pricey .
Old 09-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
The problem that I discovered with trying to "fab" something using Flowmaster, Magnaflow or DynoMax mufflers was the weight .
Even compared to the allegedly heavy stock system? I'm thinking I'd replace everything from the header (stock) flanges back with a self made bypass pipe and a Dynomax VT on each side. I'd put a balance pipe in it somewhere, too.

I may just be dreaming ... I have lots of other projects that are ahead of this, and I already love the way the car sounds with a de-snorked intake and the stock exhaust. My main reason to do this would be weight reduction, not sound. Maybe I'd even pick up 2hp.
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:52 AM   #7

Top Speed Auto just got in another batch of the bypass test pipes for only $189.
If you want to loos a few pounds and maybe get a better sound and a HP or two this might be a good option.
I ordered mine last week...

TOP SPEED AUTO ACCESSORIES, INC.
1989 944 S2 R - Stock except.....
2003 Boxster S ( Euro delivery ! )
1990 944 S2 sold
sponsored by PDandM.com, General Contractors.
Building the Highest Performance Homes in the SML area.
smlporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #8

Garage
Appreciate all of the input. Still haven't made up my mind. I'll post back the results if I do anything wild.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAUSIDMT View Post
Appreciate all of the input. Still haven't made up my mind. I'll post back the results if I do anything wild.
Burns Stainless has a computer program to determine proper exhaust tube diameter based on many engine variables & seemingly perfect fabrication skills & quality control.

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote