986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Weird problems after modifying air intake. (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/24958-weird-problems-after-modifying-air-intake.html)

Jaegermeister 05-29-2010 11:11 PM

Weird problems after modifying air intake.

I have recently modified my air intake to what I found on Pedro's garage website and since the car has not been right. I worry that it could have been the modification that is causing it or I could have messed something up during the install. The problem is the car seems to hesitate before hitting 3k RPMs in 1st and 2nd gear. Also, on a quick shift the car jumps to 4k RPMs and it stops providing power to the wheels until I lift off the pedal. The car is a 97 with about 56k miles on it. I hope someone has had these issues and can help me figure out what the problem is! Thanks!

TenaciousD 05-30-2010 07:05 AM

Jaegermeister,
The second part of your symptoms almost sounds like slipping clutch. Is your car a manual or tiptronic?
Any check-engine lights? A tool like the durametric diagnostic tool might help illuminate your problem.

Kevin

Dragonwind 05-30-2010 01:38 PM

There's no way the intake will affect things pike that. The post above is correct you have a clutch problem. When you have that replaced have the IMS bearing done as well.
Chris

Burg Boxster 06-01-2010 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaegermeister
I have recently modified my air intake to what I found on Pedro's garage website and since the car has not been right. I worry that it could have been the modification that is causing it or I could have messed something up during the install. The problem is the car seems to hesitate before hitting 3k RPMs in 1st and 2nd gear. Also, on a quick shift the car jumps to 4k RPMs and it stops providing power to the wheels until I lift off the pedal. The car is a 97 with about 56k miles on it. I hope someone has had these issues and can help me figure out what the problem is! Thanks!

Have you driven at least 30 minutes / 30-40 miles since modding? If not, the DME is still relearning the new airflow...

Jaegermeister 06-02-2010 11:06 PM

I believe I should have said that it stays at 4k regardless of the amount of gas applied until let off. I think that if it was a clutch problem my RPMs would increase, but instead it sticks at 4k. Also, I have noticed that acceleration is fine until 2k RPMs then it bogs down until 3k. I have driven it over 30 minutes and a couple hundred miles since doing this. Also, could issues with my MAF also contribute to this problem?

jaykay 06-06-2010 07:37 AM

Upon reading your post, I immediately I thought you may have damaged the MAF sensor while doing the modification....I have never had mine out and I am not sure how fragile they are.