Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #1

Red face P-code 1530 in 97 Boxster

We could use some advice about the codes associated with my wife's 97 Boxster (the Debster) engine light coming on:

The Debster has these DTC's:

P-code 1530 on a universal code reader, per the Bentley service manual that's Porsche DTC 174, Camshaft adjustment, cyl 1-3

Details of the incident setting this code:

Speed 31 mph
2463 rpm
Coolant Temp 179
3.5% load

Short-Term Fuel Trim 1 0.0%
Long-Term Fuel Trim 1 0.8%
Short-term Fuel Trim 2 0.0%
Long-Term Fuel Trim 2 -5.1%
Short-Term Fuel Trim 3 -100.6%
Long-Term Fuel Trim 3 -100.6%
Short-Term Fuel Trim 4 -100.6%

Fuel System 1 Open 1
Fuel System 2 Open 2

There are also pending codes 1313, 1314, 1315, and 1319. Those all indicate misfires in cylinders 1-3, from the scanner and manual info.

The code was erased and returned.

So what have we likely got going on here? There are posts about camshaft timing chains and the manual goes into some about the camshaft positions sensor.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Debster crew chief

debster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:07 AM   #2

It sounds to me like one of the chain guides is dying.. OR the IMS is getting ready to fail. Each engine I have torn apart with the IMS failure has bent the valves on the 1-2-3 side of the engine (this is the side the intermediate shaft operates)

I hope I'm wrong.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #3

IMS Failure Options

Thanks for the insight.

I looked up IMS failures online and have emailed NL Engineering for their advice.

Also stopped by a local Porsche dealer, whose tech said he hadn't seen much of these codes, and hadn't observed a consistent cause. His guess was a Variocam solenoid as the most likely cause.

This car has 37398 miles, and the codes showed up after I changed the oil and filter this spring, using a Hengst filter and 15W-50 Mobil 1. Hope the oil change had no influence.

Any potential cause appears to require dropping the engine and opening it up for inspection. Right now I'm armed with a Bentley manual and a desire to minimize how many thousands of dollars this will entail before it's over. Can a person with reasonable engine/mechanical experience, a service manual , and online resources expect to tackle this work successfully?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Patrick Keller
Old 06-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #4

P-code 1530 in Boxster

Just found another thread on this same topic, and it is also pointing to the cam drive system. Bummer.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #5

The main issue is: tools. It requires several specialty tools that are not readily available to crack into the engine.

Tell Charles I said hello I have not spoken to him in a few days

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #6

Thanks for the Info

Thanks for the guidance. I'll keep digging into what it might take and who might have that. Depending on what is actually wrong, there is probably a range of different parts and tools that could become necessary. Hopes of a DIY repair are getting thin.

Patrick Keller
Old 05-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #7

Angry Final Chapster in P-Code 1530 Thread

Alas, this is the end of the tale. As advised by a dealership, we drove the car more, but the error codes continued to pop up. This year the car is due for an emissions test, and did not pass in this condition. We took it to an independent shop that does quality work and had a stuck solenoid on the right cylinder bank replaced, along with all the coils which were producing some of the misfire codes.

Got the car back and it has never run so smooth and sweet. Took it for a ride for the first time with the top down, and when raising the top the left side B-pllar cracked. CRACKED! And the plastic rod-end snapped.

We're fed up with this damned thing and will fix it and get rid of it. Soon.