Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 04:01 AM   #1

Lowering Springs.

Hi guys,

I want to buy a set of H&R lowering springs for my car, as they the best out there?or are there other good brands too? Anything I need to know before making this mod? Know the H&R's drops the car by 30mm, it's my weekend car, so looking for something sportier looking aswell as something stiffer for my track days.

de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:04 AM   #2

you will also need Tarett rear toe links~480$. the explaination is long. search the forum. just trust me you will need them to get the car back into alignment.

The drive is so much tighter and smooth. little bumpy. makes the car look great
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:14 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to 986rgt
I like my H&Rs

I just did H&Rs and Bilstien HD Struts. You can use the stock strut, but they wil not work as well, will wear out quicker since they are not designed to work with the new springs. I was able to get my car in spec for alignment, its at the very edge of spec, but I have not seen a bad result in tire wear or performance. Go for it, you will love the look, just watch out for speedbumps and entrances to parking lots etc.

Steve

986rgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
2001 RUF 3800S

I put Eibachs on mine - on the original struts. 1" drop, made a huge difference in apperance. No noticable uneven wear. Heres a pic...
Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #5

If you are interested, I might be selling a very nice setup. Great for both street and track. 22-way externally adjustable rebound/compression (or maybe it was 23 way) OHLINs dampers, with Eibach springs.

OHLINS are top tier in the suspension game...

Not cheap, but if you want more info, let me know...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #6

lowering springs

Thanks for all the help so far, have a good idea of whats going on now...Have any of you fitted extended adjustable toe links to the rear when doing a lowered spring mod? And anyone had problems with getting the car back into wheel alinement?
de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #7

I have the H&R's on mine and they are great....the Adj toe links are a piece of cake and really needed.
1998 Arctic Silver Boxster
stcroixdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #8

For those who have done it, how do feel about the H and R springs (1") on the stock struts for the street. This is for a 2000 S with 18" 3-piece sport classics/ PS2s; 15 / 23 spacers. How harsh is my ride going to be? Do these red sport springs fit well? Is there not enough toe rear adjustment to compensate for the 1". Would the H and R eccentic bolts cure this? Is there another spring ride height that would be more suitable?

Right now I just wanted a lower ride height but perhaps I should look ahead and tackle suspension upgrades as a group. Any recomendations? The sees some track use.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #9

I also have a 2000 Boxster S and was thinking of the Eibach Pro Plus kit which is the springs with sway bars and links... is that a decent kit for street and occasional auto-x?

David - San Jose, CA
Current: 2010 Touareg V6 TDI, stock for now...
Current: 2000 Boxster S, stock for now...
Former: 2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo... too many issues!
Former: 1999 996 C2, sorely missed
Reborn996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:30 AM   #10

I have an 03 s and want to do the same just not sure what the best street setup would be ?
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #11

Garage
986 RGT makes a good point when he says that the oem struts are not really designed to handle the increase in spring rate over the long run. Personally, if one's finances would allow for it, I would highly recommend going the route of adjustable coilovers. There are some great online deals for H&R and KW coilovers, as well as other high quality brands .
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #12

GT3 rollbars

Okay sounds like its wise to consider a suspension package. I was mainly worried about getting the car back withing camber and toe in spec so as not to continually eat rear tires. I was hoping to avoid struts

For those have them how do you like your GT3 roll bars? Did you have a front one as well? How do they compare with Tarret?
Old 06-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #13

Why not go for the oem RoW M030? It's matched to the car and you can buy the kit for under 1200. I am about ready to pull the trigger on one, but need to find someone to install that's not going to kick my a$$...

I suppose if you wanted to go all out, I'd go Bilstein PSS9/10, but I think after reading alot of posts on this site, it's overkill.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #14

It all depends on your intended usage. If you just want to lower the car for appearance, and are happy with the stock handling ( and cost is an issue ), just springs and an alignment would be fine. Some are able to get an acceptable alignment with a 1" drop without adj. toe links.

Stiffer springs won't wear out the struts any quicker, but the dampening may not be ideally suited for the combination. The spring rate change would probably not be huge in any event, ie. you're not doubling the stiffness, more like a 10-25% increase.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #15

Don't cheap out, do it right the first time.

Stock struts are not designed to work with anything but stock springs, doing so will decrease the length of travel for the shocks and your suspension will be more likely to bottom out if you hit any bumps on the road. All that equals to increasing wear on the shocks that already has miles on them and you'll be more than likely to swap them out for new ones again in the near future.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #16

Obviously opinions vary..........
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #17

I always get confused with ROW as I am a Canadian.....are stock ride hides in the US higher than up here? The M030 may be a package I have stock on an S up here already
Old 06-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
I always get confused with ROW as I am a Canadian.....are stock ride hides in the US higher than up here? The M030 may be a package I have stock on an S up here already
ROW = Rest of World (i.e. Everywhere except the U.S. and Canada)

I have the RoW M030 kit and for our crappy Ottawa roads compared to the U.S. this is the right kit.
VRsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #19

VR...How much did it set you back and where did you get it?

What are the effects (height; ride; feel) of it?

j
Old 06-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #20

Eibach

Mine are stampedTechArt but as pointed out by Johnny Danger we believe they are made by Eibach. No complaints with the ride. No bottoming. Very happy!! Very little change in wear even without new toe-links

TechArt Strut Brace Front and Rear
Technobrace (Thanks Pedro)
Michelin PS2
G2 Red Caliper Paint
DamageINC123 is offline   Reply With Quote