986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Boxster OBC and Cruise Control Mod (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/24819-boxster-obc-cruise-control-mod.html)

steeleco 05-16-2010 05:32 PM

Boxster OBC and Cruise Control Mod

If anyone has actually done the OBC and Cruise Control Retrofit on a Boxster please let me know how it came out. Specifically can some tell me if it can actually be done on a 2003 that was delivered with out it. I think I have read everything on the net about it but there are still some holes in what I can be sure of. Thanks

ppbon 05-17-2010 08:55 AM

I have done the OBC hack...

... on half a dozen cars ('97 through 2001) including a couple of 996s.
The conversion, if done with the OEM stalk is completely factory. No one could tell that it wasn't like that from day one. You will need to turn on the OBC using a PST II or PIWIS unit.
I've never done it on an '03 which I believe has a little different wiring than the older versions.
I know that a few people have done it on an '03.
Do some internet research specifically to the 2003 and you should find something concrete.
Have not installed the cruise control stalk but don't see why it would be any harder to do.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeleco
If anyone has actually done the OBC and Cruise Control Retrofit on a Boxster please let me know how it came out. Specifically can some tell me if it can actually be done on a 2003 that was delivered with out it. I think I have read everything on the net about it but there are still some holes in what I can be sure of. Thanks

Sain0rs 05-17-2010 11:44 AM

I've done the hardware install for OBC and cruise on my '03S, however I haven't had a chance to activate either function because I haven't found anyone with a PST2 or PIWIS that would be willing to do with for what I think is a reasonable cost (less than ~$50USD). If anyone knows of a cheap place that has a PST2/PIWIS and 5 minutes to spare to turn on the functions anywhere around CT/MA/NY please let me know...

Also, the latest Durametric cable + software is supposed to be able to enable the OBC but for some reason it's not capable of doing it on a 2003. I worked with their support guys for a bit to try and enable it and as of ~Feb of 2010 the end result was that they can't do it on a 2003 cluster.

Pirate50 05-17-2010 06:47 PM

I just finished with the install of the OBC (had cruise already) on my 03 this week. Also haven't gotten it enabled yet, however,I know it will work. The pinout to the cluster is different than earlier years and there is an extra step in the enable process. You have to enter in the numbers "986310 for the base model" or "986320 for the S " in the order type in the DME. Go to Renntech.org and do a search on OBC hack, you will get detailed install info with pictures and wiring diagrams. I was able to add the obc without removing the steering wheel and it looks as though the cruise may be able to as well, but not sure.

Lil bastard 05-17-2010 08:37 PM

The thing to realize is that you need to get the entire stalk assembly - Turn, OBC, Wiper, Cruise. The basic assembly is three stalk unit for the US - Turn, Wiper, Cruise. These are integral to the entire asembly and cannot be added/removed. The 4th or OBC stalk is the only one which is removable, but Porsche will NOT sell you the 4th or OBC stalk alone so as to force people into buying the OBC option.

So you have two options; Buy the 4-stalk unit from Porsche or a wrecker or buy a 996 4-stalk unit from a 996. The 4th stalk is the only one which is removable and transferable. If you buy from Porsche, you'll also have to buy the stalk facia because it's sold separately. There are two types of facia - Matt and Glossy, so get the one which matches your model year.

Cheers!