986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Replaced Clutch, no reverse gear now (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/24631-replaced-clutch-no-reverse-gear-now.html)

al83s 04-30-2010 11:22 AM

Replaced Clutch, no reverse gear now

Hello.
I replaced the clutch yesterday and once i took the car off the lift, there was no reverse. I didn't have time to go back in and see whats wrong yet (had to go out of town).
Figured, I may have knocked the shift linkage out of adjustment, but first 5 gears work just fine. I just cant put the shifter in reverse.
Any Ideas? Is there some sort of a reverse-lockup that I could have broken?
Any Ideas would be apreciated.
P.S. its 2002 2.7 5-speed manual

Lil bastard 04-30-2010 10:01 PM

You didn't put the clutch disc on backwards did you?

Cheers!

landrovered 05-01-2010 03:12 AM

Shifter linkage needs to be adjusted, the passenger side one is out of whack.

al83s 05-01-2010 01:05 PM

No, Clutch is put in correctly, otherwise the car wouldn't have forward gears either and it does.
Thants what I thought, probably the linkage. Will see if adjustment fixes the problem and will post the results.
Thanks for the input

al83s 05-03-2010 10:08 PM

Got it sorted out. shift linkage (right-left) was out of wack, adjusted it and its all good now.
New clutch sure feels good, didn't even realize how worn the old one was until i replaced it.
Pedal is alot lighter, it engages just off the floor now.
Takes some getting used to though, killed the car twice already.
Alex

Oaktown 986 05-04-2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by al83s
Got it sorted out. shift linkage (right-left) was out of wack, adjusted it and its all good now.
New clutch sure feels good, didn't even realize how worn the old one was until i replaced it.
Pedal is alot lighter, it engages just off the floor now.
Takes some getting used to though, killed the car twice already.
Alex

How hard was it? I've done two clutches before, one rear drive (easy), and one front drive (medium difficulty, Toyota Camry). Not too excited about the P car for when it's due...

al83s 05-04-2010 09:39 AM

Not too bad. I never replaced the clutch before, so I had nothing to compare it to.
I did have access to a lift though, which makes it a bit faster than doing it on jack stands.
My buddy, who was helping me with the process said that it was much easier than replacing clutch on his trans-am.
Once you remove the Bumper, exhaust, braces, sway bar etc, transmission becomes easily accessible.
We supported the rear side of the engine from the top (bar across).
Unbolt the cv axles from the tranny and hang them down, remove the trans mounts (from transmission and the body, not the big nut on the mount as it will ruine it).
Unbolt the slave cylinder and pull it out, pop off the linkages and a reverse switch cable and you are ready to pull the transmission.
It is held be several bolts, nut and one hex (we had to cut a Snap-on socket as it was hitting the transmission to get that sucker out).
These clutches are push type, so once transmission is unbolter - you just ply it off.
We kept the original flywheel, as it had litle wear and almost no burn marks.
Clutch, pressure plate, pilot and throw-out bearing were replaced along with all the bolts.
It took me almost an hour to install new rear main seal because I lubricated the outside edge of it (Mistake, as it only makes installation harder).
Overall its not hard, just time consuming. It took me $500 in parts and 8 hours with pizza breaks, looking for tools, screwing around etc.
If I was to do it again - would have been done in 5-6 hours.
Alex

Cloudsurfer 05-05-2010 03:59 PM

Actually one of the easier cars to pull the gearbox on. If you can do it on a lift, it's not bad at all.

Red986 07-17-2010 08:56 AM

Shift Linkage Adjustment

"Got it sorted out. shift linkage (right-left) was out of wack, adjusted it and its all good now."

Hello al83s,

I haven't changed the clutch, but have a similar problem with the old reverse selection. I've managed to get it in once, and it's fine once it's in. The first 5 are fine so I'm hoping a little adjustment will sort it out.

Can you let me know how it's done?

Cheers,

Matt B