Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 02:28 PM   #1

Tiptronic stop working

Hi everybody,

i really need your help. I just bought a 2001 boxster tiptronic, 80 000KM. And i have probleme with the tiptronic. Each time a press the accelerator to rapidely accelerate, when the rpm is near 6000, the transmission make a strange noise (seems to look for witch gear too chose - always choose a gear higer), then the check engine sign appears and the tiptronic dosent work anymore: it goea on automatic mode (thats probably why it always choose a gear higer). Even if i'm already on ''manual'' mode, it switch to automatic (the light in the dash, not the shifter). I have my car since 1 1/2 week and cant drive it like a sport car ! :-( It already 3 times the dealer send the car to a garage and nothing work ...

Do you guys have a clue ?

Thank you

Diskat

PS: sorry for my english, im not used too speak english.

Diskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #2

Find a garage that has the right tools to pull the trans codes off the Tip. Then use this link as a reference guide....Every Tip owner should have this one in their library:

http://www.europeantransmissions.com/Bulletin/DTC.Porsh/lib_download.jsp_file=por_G40tiptronic_diagnose.pd f
DRL hack
boxzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #3

Starting in 2000 you could be in auto mode and use your thumb to + - shift. Also, the car is intelligent. If you are getting aggressive and having fun, the transmission will adjust and get into an aggressive mode with you. If you drive normal it will act normal. Also, at 6000 RPM's, it sounds like it shifting up to far. Try your manual mode and keep your thumbs on your + - shifting and see what happens. When I get aggressive and really slow to much into a turn, sometimes the TIP will shift down to 1st and is ready to rock out of a turn. Also, has the TIP had a full service...they drop the pan, replace the filter, etc. and replace the oil.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #4

Normal operation - you're hitting the Rev Limiter.

Unlike the Manual cars, the Tiptronic Control Unit (computer) won't let you do that - self preservation.

BTW, by the time you hit the limiter, you've already gone past peak HP anyway - the power curve has downturned, reving that high is useless, and not especially good for the TipS.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #5

Thx you all for your answers.

Its appreciate !
Old 05-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Normal operation - you're hitting the Rev Limiter.

Unlike the Manual cars, the Tiptronic Control Unit (computer) won't let you do that - self preservation.

BTW, by the time you hit the limiter, you've already gone past peak HP anyway - the power curve has downturned, reving that high is useless, and not especially good for the TipS.

Cheers!
OK I understand you're point. But is it normal about the check engine sign? What to do to make it back to normal- the tip and the check sign ?

Thanx

Diskat