986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Backfiring while engine is cold (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/24503-backfiring-while-engine-cold.html)

Oaktown 986 04-19-2010 10:17 AM

Backfiring while engine is cold

I live in the Bay Area(so we're talking 40 degrees cold), and since my battery died (due to a month of vacation) a few weeks back, my car has not been driving well while the engine is cold. It is hesitating, keeping a low idle, and backfiring occasionally. From using the search function, I'm beginning to guess the MAF needs cleaning or replacing. Does anyone want to help a brotha out?

Jon

extanker 04-19-2010 12:02 PM

is it fine when its hot ? do you have a scan tool ? no fast idle when cold ?

Oaktown 986 04-19-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extanker
is it fine when its hot ? do you have a scan tool ? no fast idle when cold ?

It is totally fine when it's hot. I do have a scan tool; it hasn't thrown a code in a couple months, but last time was a P0449 I believe, and it was O2 sensor-related. It's also thrown a Secondary Air Canister code once before.

extanker 04-19-2010 12:22 PM

i,m not a po pro but the throttle body can/may have a system call idle air bypass this gives you fast idle...see if your scan tool can monitor its position when cold...they can get "coked up"

Oaktown 986 04-19-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

i,m not a po pro but the throttle body can/may have a system call idle air bypass this gives you fast idle...see if your scan tool can monitor its position when cold...they can get "coked up"

the idle is too low when it's cold, not high; it feels similar to the feeling a car gets when it's catalytic converters have gone bad. It revs up to a certain point, then stops accelerating, backfires, then resumes accelerating.

Doesn't feel right; but it's not a problem when I let it warm up...

extanker 04-19-2010 12:37 PM

but alls fine when hot...so i,m leaning [pun intended] toward being lean ...like no inrichment aka cold start injector [if ap] cold motors need to be a little more rich...old days using a choke

jcb986 04-19-2010 12:43 PM

You also may have a coil pack going bad. :eek:

Oaktown 986 04-19-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcb986
You also may have a coil pack going bad. :eek:

This I could see; last time I pulled plugs I had a bit of oil in there. I bought new O rings, tubes, and have now received them. Try this first?

Jon

extanker 04-22-2010 01:06 PM

sup holmes ...fixed....?

Oaktown 986 04-28-2010 07:04 AM

Quote:

sup holmes ...fixed....?

Negative, been too busy lately. Next weekend I'm going to get to work on it, and if that doesn't work, time to go to the Stealership. Any good rec's in the Bay Area of CA?

J