986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   What are your Boxster goals??? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/24465-what-your-boxster-goals.html)

j.fro 04-16-2010 05:17 PM

What are your Boxster goals???

Having read/contributed to a recent exhaust thread, I thought I'd throw this up for giggles. Some of us see our Boxsters as a potential investment. Some of us plan to drive the thing until the wheels fall off and die with it. Many cycle through cars every few years and it's just nice to own for a bit. A few strip it bare and go Porsche Club Racing. What's your take on this marvelous little car???
Yeah, I think this counts a "Performance" topic!

For me, my goal is the GT3 soul in a 986 body. I need to be able to drive it on the street to events and for fun. I don't care so much about comfort/luxury. I want handling, speed, and safety (on any given day that order may change). My car has 130,000 miles on it now, I'm 41, and I'd like to think my surviving relatives would fight over it when I'm dead...in at least another 41 years.
YAAA-freakin-HOOO

JAAY 04-16-2010 06:40 PM

I am with you on all that. I like to keep my car clean and the paint in great shape. I like that people have no clue what year it is or what it is. I have coil overs in it and have a gt3 front swaybar in my garage. One day I will get some tarrets and install it. Going to do the h&r rear sway bar and tarrets too. I would love gt3 power but my 3.4 is great fun in the car now. Huge upgrade from the supercharged 2.5 I have no reason or want to get rid of my box. I want to keep it as sort of being in my collection of cars. In the past I would get board of a car and need a new fix. I just see the box as always being in my garage next to something else. :cheers:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...S/DSC_0646.jpg

vath2001 04-17-2010 02:58 AM

My Boxster goal?
To drive it. I have no goals with a car, its a car and I drive them. I don't own museum pieces. My rims are dirty from brake dust, the interior need vacuumed and the dent my the DS rear wheel fender will always be there.
If I have a goal it is to keep my repairs one stop ahead of the tow truck.

cvhs18472 04-17-2010 03:46 AM

My goal is to get 150k on the car before I think about a replacement engine. At 10K per year that will make me well over 70 and I will just replace it with an upgraded 2.5. I'm 1/2 stupid now, in 10 years I won't need any more power than I can't handle on the open road now. Ed

landrovered 04-17-2010 04:02 AM

I am 48 in July and really love my 3.6, I agree with all of the above and have a long list of improvements that I want to do to make the car achieve it's true potential but as a road/track day car.

I would like to experience racing and plan to purchase a cup car before I am 50. I dream of running Petite LeMans but I am not stupid enough to think that I am that caliber of driver so team owner would suit me just fine. Then by 60 I want a car at LeMans.

Johnny Danger 04-17-2010 04:04 AM

After all of the time, energy and money that went into modifying my boxster, not even death will do us part. In fact, I've made arrangements with these guys to install handles all around for what I call the ultimate or finite mod ! :)

www.casketroyale.com

ekam 04-17-2010 05:32 AM

Well my last car lasted 12 years before I sold it so I don't think I'll be getting rid of my 986 anytime soon.

Yes it doesn't have enough power compare to the big boys but this is like telling a small person he's small. Who can say they've taken their stock car to the track with no issues and drive it in the winter at the same time?

I'm almost half the age of most guys here and I'm glad I got a non-S so I can learn from it and lay the groundwork for an upgrade path. This is my first Pcar and certainly won't be my last. :cheers:

No I still don't want a 911 but if I were to get one it'd have to be a 996 GT3. And get this, of all the PCA fun runs I've been to a lot of the guys that come out have Boxsters... and that says a lot about who's having more fun on the twisties. :p

Gary H 04-17-2010 02:41 PM

After a supercharged Miata, my 3.2S is a revelation. Having just swapped out the entire suspension, I have never driven a car that feels so planted. This year's mods will be documented here, but in summary, it will be a 01 S with an engine that had done 15K and full brakes and suspension that have done 3K by the end of this year.

Next year? 3.8...or a 996 TT ;)

BYprodriver 04-17-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.fro
Having read/contributed to a recent exhaust thread, I thought I'd throw this up for giggles. Some of us see our Boxsters as a potential investment. Some of us plan to drive the thing until the wheels fall off and die with it. Many cycle through cars every few years and it's just nice to own for a bit. A few strip it bare and go Porsche Club Racing. What's your take on this marvelous little car???
Yeah, I think this counts a "Performance" topic!

For me, my goal is the GT3 soul in a 986 body. I need to be able to drive it on the street to events and for fun. I don't care so much about comfort/luxury. I want handling, speed, and safety (on any given day that order may change). My car has 130,000 miles on it now, I'm 41, and I'd like to think my surviving relatives would fight over it when I'm dead...in at least another 41 years.
YAAA-freakin-HOOO

Great Post. My plan somewhat mirrors yours. Just removed my 3.2 S engine to see what I can do for some torque. Don't forsee selling until I am too feeble to shift myself & can afford a PDK! :cheers:

DANMKII 04-19-2010 11:04 AM

My porsche boxster is the only car I currently own that I never intend to modify.

My plans are to keep it mint, and original. Driving it often while keeping repairs at MINIMUM. My car is a 2003 with only 9,500 miles, but I dont intend for it to be a garage queen either. Well packaged car right out of the factory :)

:cheers:

mptoledo 04-19-2010 12:25 PM

My goals are simple.
First: Never break down
Second: Always look good
Third: see a lot of http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...moticon/by.gif

Topless 05-05-2010 11:07 AM

Goals? Track records in stock class.

I bought this car 5 years ago to drive. The few mods I have added are strictly to the rule book in BSX class. The car performs very well in near stock trim, doesn't need to be flogged to turn some quick laps on Saturday, and I can knock the top down and take a pretty girl for a joyful drive to the beach on Sunday. With a careful wash and polish it still looks great after 12 years. Best sports car bang for the buck I think.

So far, so good.

Lil bastard 05-05-2010 11:46 AM

My goal is to keep the shiny side up -

And to keep the Dealer's, Service Manager's and Parts Manager's kids from getting an Ivy League education!

Cheers!

RandallNeighbour 05-05-2010 05:01 PM

My short term goal is to find a leather dash, which is the last bit to be replaced on the inside of the car. I also want to replace my Che muffler with a factory Porsche sport exhaust (the 2000-3000 rpm drone is too much for me now).

My long term (ultimate) goal is to swap the 2.5 with a 3.6 one day and then get it repainted properly.

Even if I received a massive inheritance check with enough cash to buy the 997TT with PDK (current dream car) I do not think I could part with this boxster. It's my first Porsche and I have so much time and money and blood and sweat invested in it that I would cry like a baby if I was forced to sell it... because I'd get 20% of what I have in it money-wise and the new owner would not appreciate that fact.

sheep 05-08-2010 05:18 PM

My goal is to keep her standard....ish and cruise when i can , when the parkinsons finally grips hold i think i will garage her and at least i will get to start her once in a while :) :) i currently do a full wash and polish x2 per week so shiny and mint is my happiness :cheers:

davemon 05-09-2010 08:39 PM

Tastefully tailor the car to me and my driving style. It has had some fabspeed exhaust work done. Next I'm mulling over a shortshift. Currently I'm only taking it to work once/week. My goal is to ideally drive it 3-4 days/week while keeping it nearly pristine. When/if this motor goes, then I'll seriously consider a Raby big HP motor to maintain my permagrin or perhaps get a freakish permasmile :D

I would love learn everything there is to know about these motors, but probably even better would be if my 2.7L lasted 150k miles and I never had to take a wrench to it.

EDIT: Also mulling over cross-drilled rotors when the time is right, need to research the benefits of various rotors. Maybe a second set of rims.

EDIT2:

To Do List:

1) Change Oil (done 5/20/10) ($80)
2) Replace brake pads
3) Clear headlights (remove yellowing) ($5 for Novus)
4) Short throw shifter ($250)
5) Cross-drilled rotors
6) Painted Calipers ($15)
7) ISMR/Clutch (probably paying the experts for this) ($1600)
8) replace 2 wheel center crest emblem ($80)
9) Techno torque 2 install ($265)
10) Underdrive pulley install ($225)
11) Serpentine belt replacement
12) Lighten the car - take 100 lbs off car- (remove old amp, old cd changer, possibly keep spare at home; FREE)
13) Lighten the driver - but not replacing thedriver - working on dropping 15lbs (FREE)
14) Maybe upgraded front lip under my GT3 bumper

Done:
Fabspeed Goodies ($5000)
New sound system ($750)
Aero Kit: GT3 bumper, skirts, spoiler ($4580)
Weathershield HP cover ($290)

edevlin 05-09-2010 11:29 PM

I guess I am in the drive till the wheels fall off category. I plan several road trips this summer. One down south (1.5K RT), I will be leaving for that trip in a couple hours and one out west (5K RT) later this summer. I just keep changing the oil, feeding her tires, and hope she keeps running,

Ed

:D

dennis 05-10-2010 01:57 AM

JAAY, where did you get that fin? I have been looking for one, and I have noticed there are a few diffedrent types.

texomawaves 05-10-2010 10:26 AM

Keeping mine pure. Why bastardize it? I think anything else is a nascar wannabe :)

PlayersExpress 05-10-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texomawaves
Keeping mine pure. Why bastardize it? I think anything else is a nascar wannabe :)

Ferdinand Porsche once said “I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself."

In light of that spirit... each person that wants to modify or change their car is BUILDING their own DREAM sports car.

Nascar wannabe my ass, now if you put a big 3 on the doors, slapped a chevy or ford logo on it, or dropped a NA V8 in the box.... then that is bastardizing it.
:matchup: :cool: