Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #1

Airbag light came on!!

[SIZE=4]Hello everyone. I recently added a Viper Remote Start and Keyless entry in my vehicle. They had to install the equipment underneath the driver's seat. Everything works like a dream. It even sends "push" notifications to my iPhone such as alarms or motion sensors trips! But I have a problem that I cannot seem to figure out... The airbag light came on after the installation and never went away. The installers told me it should go off after the car has been driven around and if it doesnt, I can take it to the dealership and reset the "code". Is this sound right? What ever the problem, its not a major issue just annoying seeing that bright red light reminding me that my baby is not perfect.. haha. Please let me know if there is anything I can do or I should advice the installers on fixing this issue. Thanks!

blackbox986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #2

Garage
well if the installers removed the drivers seat to get to whatever computer is underneath without disconecting the batter then you will get a light. (rookie mistake... I should know i made the same one)

however it will not go away and yes the dealer can in fact reset it. and tell you what caused it.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #3

Sweet!

Thats good news! THanks my friend. do you know if its expensive to fix reset the light?
Old 04-17-2010, 03:52 AM   #4

Garage
it should be free... but u never know.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:08 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
The dealer will probably charge you to hook their computer up to your car to reset the light. Your installer should have unhooked the battery in your car prior to removing the seat so that the airbag light didn't go off.

If you can find someone who owns a Durametric code reader, they can help you reset the light instead of taking it to a dealer.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:46 AM   #6

A local dealer told me $86 to reset the airbag light.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:07 AM   #7

thanks!

ok great ill check to see if anyone has that type of reader if not im headed to the dealer!
Old 04-17-2010, 06:23 AM   #8

If you get charged you should take the bill to the installer and ask them to cover it.

Installing something like you have warranted disconnecting the battery as a standard protocol in business.

Or, they should have quoted you X dollars more for a trip to the dealer afterwards.

Make a stink out of it and all future Porsche owners going to that shop will thank you.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:13 AM   #9

Garage
You all paid? Damn... I got mine done for free.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:13 AM   #10

yeah you are right!

I told them that its unexceptable that I have to pay outta my pocket so they are paying for anything that the dealership might charge for this issue. Also I told them to please disconnect the battery before you do something like this from now on! lol
Old 04-18-2010, 03:44 AM   #11

Well, I didn't end up paying, because I let them get the impression that if I was treated well, they might get my upcoming minor maintenance work!

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote