Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #1

Sound system problem

Hello people...
Got a small (I hope) problem with the sound system on my 2003 Boxter S. Maybe someone out there can offer some suggestions.
The right hand speakers..dash & door..only seem to work intermitently. Adjust the balance to play through only these speakers and the sound is very very muffled. When all four speakers are working the sound is perfect!
Does anyone have any experience of something similar? I'm hoping its gonna be a loose connection on one of the speakers rather than something loose at the back of the radio unit itself but i dont want to start messing around with anything until I've got at least some idea of what I'm doing.

Any ideas would be much appreciated..thanks.

JackDan555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #2

Are you saying that the right side speakers are cutting out intermittently, or are you saying that the right side speakers are lacking high frequency content? Please clarify.

I suspect that the tweeter (or both the tweeter and mid) in the dash location is blown or has a bad connection. If this is the case, you would notice the lack of highs when you move the balance to hard right. When you have the balance centered, you may not notice the blown right-side tweeter so much due to the fact that the left-side is much closer to you and "fills-in" the missing highs somewhat from the blown right-side tweeter.
dalvarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #3

I have exactly the same problem.

Also after a car wash when they blew around the amp with compressed air the left side stopped working for a day or so. I suspect the amp.

Went down to West Coast Customs and they recommended changing head for an Alpine and the speakers for Alpine or MB Quarts

Taffin is offline   Reply With Quote