Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
dti

Hello people, Im a noob, I just bought a 98 Porsche Boxster but have problems : (

Ok so I bought this car off my aunt. This car has been sitting unused for over 3 years due to a problem she ran into. After conducting research on the car I found that this problem is quite common among this model and engine.

I have found oil ( lots of it ) in the water cooling reservoirs and system. The car starts off like a dream and I have not done a diagnostic with a mechanic, I also do not drive it since I am hoping to cause less of a problem for the engine. Although I am new to Porsches I am not new to engine modding and or repair. the car has 128,000 miles.
If anyone can point me to the right direction that would be fantastic. I will take pics of it and start posting on my process in fixing this vehicle. If it requires dropping the engine, I have a bud that knows a little so we will be doing the dropping and installing ourselves. I have also found a machine shop by here in L.A. that is ready to take the job. But if any one can help me with this topic I will greatly appreciate it. thanks!

dti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:49 PM   #2

well you have come to the right place i feel, check out the search engine on the site as probably every fault with a 986 has happened to SOMEONE on here, i bet you anything you'll have it running in no time and quite a few dollars left in your wallet than if you were to take it to a porsche dealer If it has been given to you cheap just blow whatever you would have spent on some tin box ricer on it!!!, you WON'T be disapointed
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #3

Oil in the coolant is a SERIOUS problem!

Do NOT run the car!

Get it to a Qualified Porsche Mechanic, not some guy you know, or trust - this goes beyond trust!

You and your buddy may have some experience, but these motors are waay beyond the capabilities of even the above average shade tree mechanic!

It's not gonna be cheap - never saw an oil-in-the-coolant issue which was, so be prepared!

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:00 AM   #4

Oil in coolant

Check out this thread, the heat exchanger might be the culprit.
http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21749&highlight=oil+cooler
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
dti

cool thanks guys, I will document my adventure with this engine with lots of pics. Thanks for the help, we will be doing a compression test and removal of the bumper exhaust and tranny this weekend. I did more research and found that most people pinpointed the problems to 3 main things: the head ( warped or cracked or gasket )
or the Heat exchanger or possibly even a cracked block. I talked to some porsche mechanics here and they all claimed it's probably the head. Is there any way to know if it's the heat exchanger, or the head? or should I drop the engine and just take it to them and leave it in their hands? I really want to pinpoint the problem, either way I know the engine will have to come down : (

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker
Check out this thread, the heat exchanger might be the culprit.
http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21749&highlight=oil+cooler
Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
dti

I think I'm going to work my way down to the problem. Compression test and the heads, if they are not the culprit then probably heat exchanger, and if that's not it...then I have no clue hehe
Old 03-29-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
With that mileage on the motor, I'd find a good used one.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #8

I think you've got your order wrong way round - its a lot easier to remove the heat exchanger (located on the top of the engine), have it pressure tested and, if its OK, move on to the heads and coolant plugs.
If you use the search function theres enough reading to cure insomnia......
Old 03-30-2010, 05:29 AM   #9

I agree with checking the heat exchanger first, since the techs have pointed to this possibly being the issue in other threads. If you find this to be suspect, also replace with the larger 3.2 S version.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
dti

Thanks again! I will remove the heat exchanger this weekend and have it pressure tested. Is there any way to tell that it's bad without having it pressure tested from the get go?

the mechanic told me to remove the engine already but I want to make sure of everything before I need to do so. Thanks guys I will take pics this weekend and post.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #11

I'd be very surprised if it's the heat exchanger. Possible, but very doubtful.

My money's on the head gasket... but which one?

Good luck to you, but I think you're in over your head.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 03-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #12
dti

do you guys recommend removing the heat exchanger yourself? and also do you recommend getting the Bentley manual? I was doing some google searching but couldn't really find any helpful links to the heat exchanger, I just found a bunch of other people that have the same problem : ( sorry for the trouble and for being such a noob! :dance:
Old 03-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
dti

thanks Little bastard, Im just going to work at it little by little, But I'm in no hurry to fix the car, it'll be a learning experience : )
one more question. Does every shop have a tool to check the heat exchanger. OR is it only German or Porsche shops?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dti
do you guys recommend removing the heat exchanger yourself? and also do you recommend getting the Bentley manual? I was doing some google searching but couldn't really find any helpful links to the heat exchanger, I just found a bunch of other people that have the same problem : ( sorry for the trouble and for being such a noob! :dance:
If you're going to work on the car, buy the Bentley Porsche Boxster Service Manual . This link is the cheapest and includes Free S/H.

The book will pay for itself over and over for the DIYer.

And, instead of spending time here asking loads of questions, you can spend the time fixing the car.

The Heat Exchanger is really called the Oil Cooler. There isn't a special tool to check it - it has no moving parts and is either leaking or it isn't. The only real check is to pull it and pressure test it.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-30-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:26 PM   #15
dti

thanks little bastard I will be on it!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:15 PM   #16
dti

Help in removing Heat Exchanger / oil cooler

sorry for the repeated question. Anyone has a link to remove the heat exchanger ? (oil cooler) I just ordered the Bentley manual so I promise no more questions until later : ) hehe
Old 03-31-2010, 06:48 PM   #17
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
PM sent....
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #18
dti

compression testing

so reading from sites it has to come out about 150 for each cylinder? my mechanic will do a compression test tomorrow
Old 04-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #19
dti

Talking Did the compression test and the heads are good : )

so I did the compression test and the results state that there is no head damage:

1 st head on the drivers side:

170 ( 1st puff got up to 80)
160 ( 1st puff 70)
160 ( first puff 65)

2nd head on the passenger side

165 (1st puff 80)
150 ( 1st puff 80)
160 (1st puff 80)

So I guess this means the culprit has to be the heat exchanger?
can't be the thermostats or waterpump since that doesn't cause oil to go into the reservoir cooling system right?

I am going to take out the heat exchanger and have it pressure tested next just to make sure and pinpoint the trouble.

But thank god it's not the heads. When taking out the spark plugs I noticed that they were really black so it's running rich. The mechanic said if it was the heads or gasket at least one of the spark plug would be clean because of the coolant. :dance:
Old 04-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #20
dti

here are my notes copied from the mechanic's notes
Image and video hosting by TinyPic