986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   o2 Simulator installation (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/24196-o2-simulator-installation.html)

landrovered 03-28-2010 07:47 AM

o2 Simulator installation

After fiddle farting around with several different after cat O2 hacks on my Boxster that were marginally effective I finally ordered and installed the Magnum O2 simulators yesterday.

A bit if history: My Box has an 04 3.6L motor, it has headers and no cats but retains the factory muffler, the after cat O2 sensors were simply attached to the underside of the car and after throwing a lot of codes I came to the conclusion that they were likely bad and therefore the normal hacks were not effective in stopping the codes. It did not make sense to buy new O2 sensors to simple hang them next to the engine so I bought the Magnum O2 simulators.

The parts: the simulators have six wires, two for the heaters, two for the signal, and a 12v power supply and ground. They are well made and mine came with a heat sink that was not shown in the pictures on their website. The electronic bits are sealed and there are two dash pots and an indicator light on the units. They run $69 per and you need two of them for a Boxster.

The Install: Soldering the wires from the original wiring harness to the part is straight forward and they provide you with shrink tubing to make the job neat. They suggest that you locate the modules as far away from the heat of the motor as possible. I ended up mounting the units on the aluminum brace that extends on a diagnal from the bottom of the motor to the rear of the wheel well. It was convenient to the plug in point for the O2 sensor and far enough away from the headers to reduce heating. I fished the power and ground wires up the back of the engine and inserted the wires into some vacuum tubing to protect it and improve the appearance and then zip tied that to the existing plumbing.

It is suggested that you power the units from a "keyed" circuit so that the power required does not draw down the battery even though the load is only 4 milliamps. Not wanting to tap into any critical circuits, I decided to power the wire off of the fuse panel from the cigar lighter circuit. I drilled a hole in one of the grommets that is under the carpet of the front motor cover. I attached the ground to the top bolt on the front motor cover which was convenient and then tucked the power wire under the edge of the center consol and ran over the drivers footwell to the fuse panel. I used a power supply that plugs in place of the fuse and moves the fuse to a 90 degree postion but preserves the fused nature of the circuit. Very handy piece of kit.

The install is very clean and the out of the box settings on the O2 Simulators worked like a charm and the codes are gone. The units did not require any further adjustment.

So if you are catless, I recommend this approach to eliminate codes once and for all.

Cheers

JFP in PA 03-28-2010 08:56 AM

Or, you could have a someone with a PST II/PIWIS reprogram your DME to RoW emissions standards (only US cars have four O2 sensors) and the car would be 50 state leagal with no other modifications, and the CEL would never come back for this issue................

landrovered 03-28-2010 09:11 AM

After inquiries into the ROW flash, it is about $700 cheaper to use the simulators.

eclou 03-28-2010 02:51 PM

great work. Where did you purchase the sims from?

landrovered 03-28-2010 05:40 PM

Thanks! I ordered them from Magnumtuning.com

yimmy149 03-29-2010 10:07 AM

Note: On my car, the cigar lighter is not switched. I'd guess it's the same on all Boxsters, otherwise the battery maintainer would not work.

landrovered 03-29-2010 10:20 AM

It seemed the safest circut and so far so good, I have not had any battery drain but I can very easily switch circuits in the fuse box if it becomes an issue.

JFP in PA 03-29-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landrovered
After inquiries into the ROW flash, it is about $700 cheaper to use the simulators.

Don't know whom you contacted, but we have had a few done by a local dealer and the price was $125-150 per...................

landrovered 03-29-2010 11:44 AM

The dealer will not touch my car it is a 3.6 transplant running x51 curves.

Paul 04-03-2010 08:19 PM

The PST-2 has ROW and US codes and can flash a DME.

geetee 05-08-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Don't know whom you contacted, but we have had a few done by a local dealer and the price was $125-150 per...................

What dealer was this at?

Datdubbw 08-26-2017 06:18 PM

I ordered some of those from magnum tuning as well. I went to install them and now my car won't start don't know what I did wrong I figured out the relay that controls the oxygen sensors also deals with the igntion. I touched it and it was warm and none of the other ones were. Do you have any advice what to look for. I used there guide and matched up the wires. Any advice would be good. I try to do everything myself.

Gelbster 08-27-2017 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landrovered (Post 209430)
Thanks! I ordered them from Magnumtuning.com

Thank you for describing your project. We need cheap effective solutions to CEL issues.
Which of these Magnum Products did you use ,please?
MAGNUM O2 Sensor Simulator To 3 Or 5 Volt 4-wire Wideband Sensors
O2 Sensor Eliminator MAGNUM Adjustable Oxygen Sensor Simulator
MAGNUM BYPASS-IT 5W Wideband Oxygen Sensor Simulator
Have you checked with Durametric to see if there are any out of range readings?
Thanks for offering your experience to us.

particlewave 08-27-2017 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gelbster (Post 548139)
Thank you for describing your project. We need cheap effective solutions to CEL issues.

You're responding to s 7+ year old post. ;)

DMags 09-22-2019 08:33 AM

Hey, I just picked up a Boxster without Cats. I am about to order the O2 Sensor Simulators from https://www.magnumtuning.com/. I will keep you posted if this works. I did see someone had a problem above. I understand this post is older, but they should be updated as required. The more info they contain on a "searched subject" the more useful they can be.