Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #1

Smoke at Start-up

About a week ago I got caught in a severe storm and the roads were severely flooded. I was crossing water as deep as about 1/4 the way up the door, my exhaust was fully submerged, and I watched the temperature drop right down as the radiators and probably most of the sump were submerged for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Since then, I have been experiencing a large amount of smoke at start-up when the motor is below operating temperature. The smoke only lasts for about 30 seconds and then the car runs just fine, no power loss or anything.

Has the water done something? The smoke is really the only symptom.

Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #2

Smoke at start up

While I can't address the potential flooding issue, I've read before that smoke at start-up is normal. It happens with mine on occasion, to no ill effect.
EricR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #3

My sone did the same thing trying to drive to class for a test

the test was canceled of course. And he stalled.

The dealer will have a procedure for dealing with flooded cars including flushing out the doors, changing all fluids, etc.

The exhaust got flooded and the stuff coming out the exhaust is steam. The more you drive the more it will go away.

But you really need to address all the fluids...now.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
the test was canceled of course. And he stalled.

The dealer will have a procedure for dealing with flooded cars including flushing out the doors, changing all fluids, etc.

The exhaust got flooded and the stuff coming out the exhaust is steam. The more you drive the more it will go away.

But you really need to address all the fluids...now.
Thank you Mike.

I have the car booked in for an oil change tomorrow, I imagined that would be the first port of call. I do not think any water made it into the air intake, would have been a serious problem, however I will have it checked out.

What other fluids would you recommend I change? I would really rather not take any chances with this one.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote