986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   steering groan when warmed up (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/24168-steering-groan-when-warmed-up.html)

landrovered 03-26-2010 04:13 AM

steering groan when warmed up

I drove about fifty miles yesterday evening and upon my return home I noticed a groan on the front passenger side when I turn the steering wheel to the right about 15 degrees it does not do it to the left. I noticed this noise once before and checked and topped off the power steering fluid with Pentosin, it was not really low. I have only driven short trips since then until yesterday I though it was just the fluid. On short drives it does not make the noise but after running for an hour or so it is making it.

I am going to dig in to the problem this weekend and am looking for some items to check. There have been no drips in the driveway and does not appear to be leaking fluid. Any suggestions appreciated.

jcb986 03-26-2010 04:24 AM

Sounds like the power assist pump is going bad. :ah:

landrovered 03-26-2010 04:43 AM

Power assist pump on the engine? There are no sounds coming from the engine but the sound is coming from the rack area, is this from air in the system as the result of cavitation?

Dave2001S 01-21-2014 02:03 PM

Power steering help needed!

I have the same exact experience. I'm hearing a grinding or groaning noise coming from the front of the car when I turn the wheel. I checked the power steering fluid and it didn't register on the stick. There are no drops of fluid on my garage floor. I filled it back up and have been driving the car for about a week. The noise is still there. I checked the fluid again and its ok. How can I tell if this is a problem with the p/s pump, a p/s line, or the steering rack??

nicecar 01-21-2014 03:55 PM

bearings

mine was upper strut bearings . amongst many other suspension rattles, knocks etc.

Dave2001S 01-21-2014 04:34 PM

Thanks Nice, so you heard that noise when you moved the steering wheel, but it was actually the upper strut bearings?

nicecar 01-21-2014 05:06 PM

let me check repair records to make sure. I remember backing out the driveway and getting the sound from the steering , sure doesn't seem like it would be from the strut bearings....hmmmmm

kk2002s 01-22-2014 07:42 AM

This may be a Lower control arm joint groan that many, including myself, experience.
There are threads about this but generally requires getting into the joint boot, squirting WD-40. I have to do this ever few months or if there was a lot of water around that washed it out

Dave2001S 01-22-2014 07:51 AM

Thanks! Looks like several possible culprits