Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:21 PM   #1

Unhappy Tension Pulley Flew Off!!!

Finally 74 in Michigan today so I took my Boxster out and after a thud and some high pitched squealling, then a burning rubber smell I quickly returned home. Took off the access panel to the serpentine belt and noticed some shreaded edges and the bolt to the tension pulley that connects to the alternator was sticking out and the pulley off. I was surprised to see the pulley actually sticking out. If the bolt wouldn't have jammed against the wall it would have come completely off. Flat bedded it to my local repair shop and he said it looked like the pulley went bad and he is going to call tomorrow with the estimate. Only 70k, thought it was supposed to last longer... Glad it did not come off all the way, I heard it could do some damage.

chad4835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:39 PM   #2

If I'm not mistaken I believe the surpentine belt is supposed to be replaced at 60k.
Was that done? Might not have anything to do with the tensioner pulley failing, but then it might ...
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:38 AM   #3
Lux

Wow. That sucks. Busting a belt is one thing but having a pulley come apart could've really messed everything up. Any ideas why the pulley bolt came loose?

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:40 PM   #4

Actually the serpentine belt is supposed to last 100k according to the dealer. Turns out the pulley must have had play in it and vibrated the pulley bolt loose. The other two were starting to get loose as well, so replaced all three and got a new serpentine belt. Total cost $380 which I did not think was too bad. Might be a good idea for anyone reading this to make sure to have their pulleys inspected during the belt change because they said things could have gotten ugly if the belt came off.
chad4835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:04 PM   #5

Belt is 60k miles. For some reason in Europe it is 48k. I've replaced them on 4 cars and all looked pretty good to me. I always inspect the pulleys because the bearings can be a problem. I will now start checking the bolts as well.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote