986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Hey Jake--need an opinion (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/24070-hey-jake-need-opinion.html)

MikenOH 03-18-2010 06:17 AM

Hey Jake--need an opinion

here's a link to a Boxster with an engine noise; would appreciate a comment on what it sounds like to you.
thanks, Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPu-5FnTEcg&feature=email

BYprodriver 03-18-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikenOH
here's a link to a Boxster with an engine noise; would appreciate a comment on what it sounds like to you.
thanks, Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPu-5FnTEcg&feature=email

I don't think that's a rod but I definetly wouldn't run the engine till you fix the problem.

Topless 03-18-2010 04:33 PM

Lifter noise or worn timing chain tensioner is my guess. Either way shut her down.

Jake Raby 03-19-2010 06:38 AM

Collapsed lifter.

But you know, those never happen according to lots of "forumites", so it must be something else.

Flavor 987S 03-21-2010 02:45 PM

Hi Mike, is your car still under warranty?

What's your mileage? What oil? What oil change interval?

Thanks.

jbox53 03-23-2010 04:49 AM

I had a similar noise. Engine chain-like noise emanated from the water pump (Jake found it). Easy enough to remove belt and check shaft play.
Good luck.

MikenOH 03-23-2010 06:11 AM

The warranty expired in late nov 09; 23K; M1 every 5-6K.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavor 987S
Hi Mike, is your car still under warranty?

What's your mileage? What oil? What oil change interval?

Thanks.

Lucky 03-23-2010 12:47 PM

Sure sounds like a lifter.

I just heard that same sound from my car a few days ago. My car was in pieces for 3 months while I replaced wheel bearings, flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate. When I first started it, it had the same ticking sound (collapsed hydraulic lifter) -- but once the engine fully warmed at idle the lifter repressurized and the noise went away. I've been driving it for the last few days (boy I missed this car!) with no reoccurance of the sound.

As far as what should you do? Take it to the dealer and fight for warranty coverage, given your low miles and recent warranty expiration it should be an easy fight.

If you don't want to do that, you could try an oil additive that cleans hydraulic lifters and hope it solves the problem. But I would caution driving the car with a collapsed lifter -- idle speeds are bad enough, driving around putting revs and load on the engine will make things worse.

Jake Raby 03-23-2010 01:33 PM

Something added to the oil that cleans lifters will make the problem WORSE. The reason for this is the lifters only have ONE hole that allows oil to enter into them, oil does NOT pass through them.

So adding something to the oil that cleans the lifters simply washes the other debris in the engine into the lifters and tensioners.

If the lifters had two oil passages, and oil passed through them the additives may be effective.

MikenOH 03-24-2010 06:53 AM

Jake:

When you have inspected a collapsed lifter--was it due to foreign material clogging the lifter, bad lifter design, both?

Mike

Flavor 987S 03-24-2010 08:40 AM

Mike, I am confussed. The Boxster in the video is black. The car in your signiture line states Guards Red.

Is this your car in the video? Thanks.

MikenOH 03-24-2010 02:03 PM

No, that is not my car; I have an 06 that was making the same noise as the one in the video, so I posted the link to see if I could get an opinion on what the problem might be.

Flavor 987S 03-24-2010 02:21 PM

^OK, Mike. I understand better now.

Now, next question(s), "is" your car making this noise, or "was" it making this noise?

What does the print-out of the 6 Ignition Ranges look like on your DME? This would be very good to know.

Did you recently miss a shift? Spin the car? Bounce off the Rev Limiter?

JTP 03-24-2010 02:46 PM

Jake, if the lifters have only one hole for lubrication, can new lifters be modified with two holes when replacing them? If this is possible, will this eliminate the collapsed/sticking lifter issue?

MikenOH 03-24-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavor 987S
^OK, Mike. I understand better now.

Now, next question(s), "is" your car making this noise, or "was" it making this noise?

What does the print-out of the 6 Ignition Ranges look like on your DME? This would be very good to know.

Did you recently miss a shift? Spin the car? Bounce off the Rev Limiter?

Had the car out today and the noise is greatly reduced; barely noticeable but still there. I have been trying to keep the revs down till I know what's going on here but the few times I took it up to 5K, it felt a bit rough--not as smooth as in the lower ranges.

I'll know more when the car gets looked at next week.

No missed shifts,spins or bounces off the rev limiter. it's just come out of a winter hibernation and started making this noise after being fully warmed up with a20 minute drive at highway speeds.

Lucky 04-18-2010 10:36 AM

Update?

Mike,

Any update? What did the noise turn out to be?

MikenOH 04-18-2010 05:40 PM

Mechanic thought it was a collapsed lifter, which had "refloated"it self as the car was driven more. Said he had seen cars that had this same noise that took nearly a month to clear up.

ohioboxster 04-24-2010 02:03 AM

Mike, we had this talk over dinner. You know the next move....do we need to go to dinner again?

MikenOH 04-25-2010 03:39 PM

Matt:

You're too funny--I'm all for dinner; BTW,Marty should be back in a week or so.

I have to say, Rita was ready to write the check when she saw your car. Having said that, right now we'd have to sell the Boxster to do it and I'm not sure she's ready to part with it--yet. Still working on it.

I'll get a date from Marty and see if set up a time to get together.

BTW, we're doing Mid-OH with NNJPCA first weekend in June; great group to run with with you can get the time off...