Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #1

997 memory seat install advice anybody??

Hi, i just picked up a set of 997 turbo seats and wondered if anyone here has fitted them in a 986? they are multi functional but i only really want the basics to work, ie up/down back/forward and back tilt. not forgetting the seat belt light.

i noticed the drivers seat is a memory seat, is there a way to bypass the under the seat memory box without rewiring the individual motors to the switches? or is there a way to make the memory work again?

Now that there are more of these types of seats coming onto the market it may well be a pretty cool upgrade IF the wiring is'nt too much of a pain!

Any advice will be most welcome

jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #2

I have retrofitted 996 Turbo full power, memory seats in a 986 Boxster, but the 997 seats are different as far as I know. Not sure how, but I do not think they are the same. On the 996 seats, power feeds into the memory module (even the 30A main feed), and from there goes to the motors and actuators. If you don't have the memory module, expect to do a LOT of wiring. There are two pins on the module, which require power from separate fuses (at least that's how the factory wires them, so that's how I did it) at 15A each I believe, in addition to the 30A fuse for the seat motors. This will empower the seat controls to work with the seat motors and all. Unless you add a TON more wiring to the memory door sill, and sideview mirror motors, reverse signal, and a few others, you won't have memory functionality, but the controls on the seat will work.

I would search out the wiring schematics and go from there.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #3

cheers for the info cloudsurfer, my new seats have 2 plug inputs on the drivers seat, a yellow one and the memory module where as the passenger seat only has the yellow
I may try to transfer my manual runners from my old seat on to the drivers side just for quickness in positioning as i'm just over a foot taller than my wife then just work out what powers what i guess, i may look into fitting the wiring harness from my old seat to just to get the basics moving
i only picked them up yesterday so i hav'nt really had time to look round them but i only paid around $1000 for the seats including the door cards with bose speakers and the rear seats too so i thought it would be worth a shot at fitting them in the ol' boxster
Old 03-21-2010, 10:14 PM   #4

ahhh! i think i've traced a live that is split into 2 wires going into the back of the mem mod, so it may be like yours cloud, i've just sent the breakers yard an email asking for the car side of the plugs so i can see what colour wires go where.

so i may need 3 lives and i earth? or have you got an earth coming out of you mem mod too?!?! it's quite therapeutic trying to sus this lot out...lol