986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Should I perform LN IMS update before selling like new boxster? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/23899-should-i-perform-ln-ims-update-before-selling-like-new-boxster.html)

MechanicalDan 03-04-2010 08:28 AM

Should I perform LN IMS update before selling like new boxster?

Hey guys, I'm new to these forums and figure all of you can help me. I am a qualified Porsche technician who picked up a boxster and nursed it back to health. At this point it's only problem is a leaking RMS. The vehicle is perfectly straight, original paint without a dent, beautiful interior, and all the right colors. It really looks like <30k miles...but in reality is just over 90k. It's a 2000 with hartop and I'd like to sell it for top dollar.
Since I will be in there fixing the rms it seams silly for me not to install the IMS retrofit kit. This car is good to go for another 60k+ miles if not for the engine issues we've seen. Are people willing to pay more for a LN updated boxster? Is it worth it to you guys when buying a Porsche? I wish I could keep this car as it's the most impressive higher mileage boxster i've ever seen. It drives superb and handles on rails. It's comfy and smooth, but I am mid build into a 2.8 951 track car. Thanks for the advise, and let me know if anyone wants to pick up a great car!

pboxstercar 03-04-2010 08:38 AM

This posts sounds suspicious to me. More IMS hysteria.

Dragonwind 03-04-2010 09:08 AM

Actually I think this is a very legitimate question. It really depends on the buyer. If he/she doesn't know and you inform them then they might shy away because of other what-if problems there might be, if they don't care then money wasted, but if they know or understand then the added benefits of having the IMS already done would be a deal closer in my book.

I say do it while you are already in there.

Chris

landrovered 03-04-2010 09:10 AM

The answer is yes.

Now, why would a Porsche Technician come to enthusiasts for advice. Stinky stinky stinky.

root_werks 03-04-2010 09:19 AM

Sounds like this should be in the classifieds.

But to answer your question, if you're a tech and already in there, no, I wouldn't touch it. You assume liability if you do. If it isn't broken on something you want to sell, DON'T touch it.

Everybody knows that. :rolleyes:

Samson 03-04-2010 09:52 AM

My thoughts on the subject are probably the same as most of the enthusiastic Boxster owners out there - yes, Porsche appears to have made an large error in the design of the IMS. But how do I know that the LN IMS update is without flaws?

There just isn't enough real world owner data to support anything either way. Not saying that it isn't better or discounting the product, because it definitely seems to be built of higher quality materials and something needs to be out there for a replacement, but it wouldn't make me willing to spend more than a very slight premium for a car with the upgrade.

Boxtaboy 03-04-2010 10:17 AM

Honestly, if you just looking to sell the car, I don't think it's worthwhile to do the update, as I don't think it will yield much extra value in the sale for your cost in doing the upgrade. I have a buddy who is on his second Boxster S (has owned a Boxster for the past 10 yrs), and to this day, he still doesn't know what an IMS failure is. He doesn't read the boards, and doesn't maintain his car himself...he just brings it to the dealer for every oil change and service, and has never had a serious mechanical problem with either of his Boxsters to date.

If, however, you are going to keep the car for yourself and want peace of mind, then by all means, do it if you think it will help increase the life of your car. If a buyer knows about the whole IMS thing and wants to do this on their own dime, then they can do that too. I just don't think having the IMS retrofit done on an old Boxster would increase the resale value much. Not that you would, but it is also possible you can screw something up while attempting this retrofit if you're not careful.

Jake Raby 03-04-2010 04:15 PM

Cars that see the updates have been selling well, so many new purchasers know the horror stories up front and they want to avoid it if possible.

People were trying to sell cars that were advertised as "updated" but they weren't, it bothered me so much that we made nice door jamb decals that match the IMS bearing's serial number that installed.

coreseller 03-04-2010 06:31 PM

It depends upon how you plan on trying to sell the car. Cars.com, Autotrader, Ebay, etc. I frankly would not bother. Most of those buyers would not be informed enough to understand the benefit. If you were to advertise on Porsche specific internet boards.....it would be worth EVERY NICKEL. :cheers:

Boxster44 03-04-2010 08:27 PM

Jake,

Just had my IMS retrofit done, but forgot about the decal. My mechanic went through Charles.... does that still qualify for a sticker?

thanks,

Ken

gschotland 03-04-2010 10:09 PM

Why not offer to do it for the cost of parts only - to sweeten the deal - if the buyer asks whether it's been done? If they don't ask, you haven't put any time or money in. If they do ask and want the bearing installed, make it a negotiating point. Worst case you throw in the cost of the bearing and your installation labor to make the deal. I don't see how you can lose doing it this way; you certainly won't be any worse off and you may be a lot better off.

Ten yr old high mileage Boxsters are so cheap and plentiful at this point that I think most prospective buyers are focused on price more than anything. Great physical and mechanical condition along with service recs will likely get you a little more $ and make it sell faster.

Jake did my IMS, but I don't think doing it for your car would add a lot of value for sale purposes. I got mine done because I'm in for the long haul, was ready for a clutch, and it gave me piece of mind. I were in the market for a car like yours, and knew about the retrofit and what it would cost to have done, $550 to have you do it would most def be a deal MAKER for me. And if I could get a fresh clutch and IMS done for $500 in parts, that would be even better.

goldsc_78258 03-05-2010 02:22 AM

Ims

I think 99.99% of the potential buyers won't even know what an IMS is much less the potential problem that it can cause.

If you where keeping it or turning into a track car the I would do it otherwise don't

Jake Raby 03-05-2010 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxster44
Jake,

Just had my IMS retrofit done, but forgot about the decal. My mechanic went through Charles.... does that still qualify for a sticker?

thanks,

Ken

Charles doesn't offer the decals, its just a Flat Six offering.. The serialization and decals keep people honest.

pboxstercar 03-05-2010 04:20 AM

The car has over 90k. If I was a "qualified Porsche technician" and I wanted to replace the bearing I'd use the original Porsche part cause i'd probably get a good discount. The original has lasted over 90k. Then I'd put a sticker on the car like the people who change the oil (All parts replaced with original Porsche parts).

Then after 180k miles I'd probably be tired of this old car and want a new one :)

Lil bastard 03-05-2010 08:27 AM

I'd say NO!

You won't recoup the cost.

If a buyer wants to buy your car, they'll buy your car.

If not, they won't.

The IMS bearing won't be a factor at all.

Save the money and spend the Labor on detailing or cosmetics and you'll get more bang for the buck - car will sell faster too!

Cheers!

Jake Raby 03-05-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pboxstercar
The car has over 90k. If I was a "qualified Porsche technician" and I wanted to replace the bearing I'd use the original Porsche part cause i'd probably get a good discount. The original has lasted over 90k. Then I'd put a sticker on the car like the people who change the oil (All parts replaced with original Porsche parts).

Then after 180k miles I'd probably be tired of this old car and want a new one :)

There is no Porsche replacement IMS Bearing.

pboxstercar 03-05-2010 11:40 AM

"There is no Porsche replacement IMS Bearing"

How about just replacing the bolts?

Jake Raby 03-05-2010 01:27 PM

Which bolts?

How do the bolts create a bearing failure?

jmatta 03-07-2010 06:12 AM

The mechanics I'm friends with are always in pursuit of perfection...for the minimal dollars, why wouldn't you do the update since you're already in there? And install a new clutch to boot...I think that would make the car very appealing.

If you're looking to make big bucks, I think you're chasing the wrong animal.

pboxstercar 03-08-2010 07:23 AM

I always find it curious that someone new posts an IMS question - then never responds. Be careful folks.