Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
boggtown

3rd Radiator

I was reading this thread and was wondering if I could put the 3rd radiator kit on my car, http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7070&hl=aerokit

I have heard of the 3rd oil cooler, but this seems like itd be more usefull. Which would you think would be better, this is $500, how much is the oil cooler?

Old 11-25-2006, 08:32 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
I was reading this thread and was wondering if I could put the 3rd radiator kit on my car, http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7070&hl=aerokit

I have heard of the 3rd oil cooler, but this seems like itd be more usefull. Which would you think would be better, this is $500, how much is the oil cooler?
Boggtown unless you race/track your Boxster it's all overkill. Just make sure your radiators are cleaned and coolant is where it should be.

If you must want to cool your car more then I would just go the oil cooler from an "S". It should be a simple D.I.Y.,1-3 hours and alot less $$$ in parts.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:21 AM   #3
KronixSpeed

why whats the deal, is the gt3 bumper have the inlet cut out in the front. so you want to cover it with a radiator. if this is the case just screen it. dont think you need another radiator. but i was thinking that when i do buy my gt3 front bumper, could i put a fake (meaning not hooked up) radiator just for looks.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:31 AM   #4
boggtown

Kinda. I want a complete package if you know what I mean. I dont want any holes in the design, everything to be filled out and purposeful. I put in a start button into the empty spot beside the cd player to fill that out, I figure, if theres a spot and nothings there, im missing something.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:41 PM   #5

Hi,

Personally, I'd screen it off. Adding the 3rd radiator is unecessary, adds 4 more connections and 2 hoses which can leak, and increases the potential for Radiator Damage (they're not too robust and you'll expose the entire width of the car to possible damage from Stones, other debris, which would cause the whole system to fail). Car would also take much longer to reach operating temp and open 'T'stat. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 01:17 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Boggtown look at it this way. If Porsche didn't find enough of a reason for them to put a 3rd radiator in a 911,what would the purpose on a Boxster? Now maybe,just maybe if your car had engine mods up the wazzo I could see it as practical.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #7

3rd Radiator

It would be handy if your putting in TPC turbo kit, as it is a necessary requirement.
Just in case you ever thought of doing it.

Marchie is offline   Reply With Quote