Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #1

Brake pad preferences-Service info

Goodevening from greece, i own a Bosxter S 2005 with iron disks (67000 km). i need to replace the rear pads and i am between Textar or Hawk pads.Any additional suggestions or which one of the 2 brands to choose.I think porsche dealer goes with the Textar. i am also thinking of changing the Brake Fluid with ATE Super Blue. Is that suggested? And one more last question. Even though i have 67000 km i need to do the 60000 km service. i bought the car from Germany and the record for the 60k is not so clear. If somebody can suggest specific oil filter,cabin filter,air filter, engine oil so i order them i would really appreciate it.

joekats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekats
Goodevening from greece, i own a Bosxter S 2005 with iron disks (67000 km). i need to replace the rear pads and i am between Textar or Hawk pads.Any additional suggestions or which one of the 2 brands to choose.I think porsche dealer goes with the Textar. i am also thinking of changing the Brake Fluid with ATE Super Blue. Is that suggested? And one more last question. Even though i have 67000 km i need to do the 60000 km service. i bought the car from Germany and the record for the 60k is not so clear. If somebody can suggest specific oil filter,cabin filter,air filter, engine oil so i order them i would really appreciate it.
Either pad is excellent from what I've heard from others. ATE Super Blue is a good brake fluid (and bleed out the clutch while you're under the car) and the next time you do the brakes/clutch, you can use the ATE amber colored fluid (same as Super Blue, only color is different) so you'll know when all the old fluid is out.

Oil recommendation in the US is Mobil 1 0W-40, so you can use that or many of the other 5W-40 oils that are on Porsche's approved list. Check around your area for available oils -- some to consider are Shell Helix Ultra, Motul 8100 Xcess, Total Quartz 9000, Fuchs Titan Supersyn (or GT1), and many others.

Do you need part numbers for the items you listed? If so:
oil filter: 996-107-020-55 (O-ring is 996-107-313-51 if not included)
cabin filter: 997-571-219-01
air filter: 987-110-133-00

Regards,
paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:13 AM   #3

I'd select brake pads

whose characteristics matched the ones I was using in the front. You want balanced braking, not unequal forces. And since you'll be in there to change the brake fluid as part of the 60k, changing the front pads too wouldn't be much work so then you could have all 4 corners matching.

You should also swap the serpentine belt. Keep the one you are using now for a spare.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #4

thanks for you assistance guys. I have changed the front ones about a month ago.i dont even have 500 km.so as i understand its better to have all 4 corner with the same brand. the front ones a the textar.
hey, Paul whats a good link to find the Porsche part numbers, like the ones you send me? Once again , thanks
Old 02-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #5

For the Parts List Catalog...

... you can go to the Porsche website:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/porscheservice/originalparts/originalpartscatalogue/
Enter the vehicle type and year and it will download the latest PET.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 02-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #6

Thanks Pedro i really appreciate it.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #7

I'm going to need a brake job as well. I've been a Do-it-Yourselfer on cars all my life and wondering if there are any reasons I should let the dealership do it... i.e. any unusual special tools, etc.. I have the service manual, so I guess I should read up, but thought I might get some easy answers from someone whose done this already.

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #8

Brake job on Boxster is the so easy compare to most cars. I haven't done one yet but the Brembo caliper design is brilliant.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #9

This one of the best DIY I have found:
http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/brakes/

And then "Vote for Pedro"
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site/Technolab.html

Good luck
Old 02-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #10

Wow, and thanks guys. It appears to be as easy as any other brake job. I'll tackle it

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote