986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Digital mileage,clock,speedometer lights stay on? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/23779-digital-mileage-clock-speedometer-lights-stay.html)

embryoguy@mac.com 02-23-2010 07:22 AM

Digital mileage,clock,speedometer lights stay on?

is it normal for the Digital mileage,clock,speedometer lights to stay on?

ive been having battery issues and i thought this was draining my battery but my mechanic told me he thinks the lights from the hood being slightly ajar is the reason.

again after locking my car than coming back after 30 mins. i still see the digital mileage.etc lights on in the dash. im not sure if these lights were always on before i just never noticed it before.

thanks in advance.

Lil bastard 02-23-2010 07:53 AM

It should stay on for no more than 30 sec. If this is not the case, a faulty ignition switch is the likely culprit - notorious for failing - cheap part, easy fix.

Cheers!

embryoguy@mac.com 02-23-2010 12:25 PM

can i ask how much approx for it? and how easy or should i have my mechanic do it?

thanks very much for info.

do you have a link for it?

nevermind ! i got the info.! thanks very much.

Lil bastard 02-23-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by embryoguy@mac.com
can i ask how much approx for it? and how easy or should i have my mechanic do it?

thanks very much for info.

do you have a link for it?

nevermind ! i got the info.! thanks very much.

The ignition switch, or more properly, the starter switch is under $20.

To swap it, you remove the D-side side air vent supply tube, then worjking under the dash, pull off the electrical connector to the switch and remove the two screws holding the ignition switch to the mechanical ignition lock - you'll need a narrow screwdriver such as a jeweler's or eyeglass repair screwdriver. Pull off the old switch, push on the new switch, retighten the scews and replace electrical connector and air vent supply. That's it. Should take less than 15 min. with a difficulty rating of 2:10.

Cheers!

embryoguy@mac.com 02-24-2010 01:19 PM

i read in another thread you can just pull off the black duct tube. i stuck my head under and can barely see the ignition switch behind the duct.

i tried tugging on the black duct tube but it afraid to use too much force to break it. is there a specific way to remove it?

embryoguy@mac.com 02-24-2010 01:53 PM

ok got off the black duct .

removed the ignition switch pretty easy. i have small hands :)

anyway which is better to get ? the audi version or the myle aftermarket version?

cliptfc 02-24-2010 05:36 PM

hey, hang on a second. I had the same problem, changed out the ignition switch, and still had the problem! It turned out my lock assembly just needed oiling! I think your ignition lock assembly is stuck in, pushing the button on the ignition switch!

There is probably a better way to fix this, but I hit the lock assembly with a shot of brake cleaner, let it air out, then hit it with a shot of WD40. Worked great after that...

Lil bastard 02-24-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by embryoguy@mac.com
ok got off the black duct .

removed the ignition switch pretty easy. i have small hands :)

anyway which is better to get ? the audi version or the myle aftermarket version?

Meyle makes the switch for both Porsche and Audi... it is same-same. So go for the one which is cheaper, usually the Meyle.

Cheers!

embryoguy@mac.com 02-25-2010 09:18 AM

ok so i replaced the ignition switch. not too bad to do.

but my lights are still on :( the digital mileage/clock/speedometer.

i do not mind replacing the switch anyway bec occasionally my key was a little tight.

i called the dealer and they said its normal to have this stay on for sometimes days??

the thing is i do not remember if this was the case before or i just happen to pay attention to it now.

any more ideas? i was tempted to just take it into porsche but they told me they can check it out but they think its normal anyway.

thanks in advance.