Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
Rennzenn

Garage
Softronic review

My little X-mas present to myself and my car this year was the Softronic software. My car has headers, no cats, an AEM cone airfilter with "fabricated" airbox, and a massaged stock muffler. I dyno'ed the car (2000 Box S 6sp, 129K)earlier this year, and she pulled 225RWHP...but showed a lean condition. And of course, I was getting CELs b/c of the headers. I had installed those O2 extenders, but all they did was extend the time between CELs.
So I called Softronic and ordered their package deal with their ECU software and the Durametric diagnostic software. There was a deal through Planet-9, and I paid around $750.
Mission accomplished on three fronts:
  1. 1. I've put around 1000 miles on and no CEL ( I hope I'm not jinxing myself)
  2. 2. No pinging at high RPMs
  3. 3. Significant power increase. rolling in first, she'll burn the tires like a Camaro. Shift into second, and she let's the tires have it again.
I'm not really a drag-race/burnout fan, so it's interesting having to be careful applying power in 1st or 2nd.
Hopefully I can hit the dyno shop again soon for some quantitative data.
Oh yeah, the Durametric is interesting, but it's functions are so limited that it's not of much value. I spoke with Durametric, and they said they'd be adding most of the 987 functions in the next few months. We'll see...

j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote