986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   2003 986 hardtop questions help! (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/23725-2003-986-hardtop-questions-help.html)

2K3_Boxster_S 02-19-2010 03:18 AM

2003 986 hardtop questions help!

I have a 2003 boxster s. I found some one with a silver hardtop in excellent condition. He swears I do not need any addiontal hardware to install the top.

1. is this true.

2. how can i verify this before driving 100 miles to pick it up. (i told him if he can't install it while i'm standing there , then forget it.)

3. the top is silver, wich means I will have to have it painted. I think $1000 is to high.or is it fair if the top is truly in brand new condition.

Thanks

ryan

mts 02-19-2010 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2K3_Boxster_S
I have a 2003 boxster s. I found some one with a silver hardtop in excellent condition. He swears I do not need any addiontal hardware to install the top.

1. is this true.

2. how can i verify this before driving 100 miles to pick it up. (i told him if he can't install it while i'm standing there , then forget it.)

3. the top is silver, wich means I will have to have it painted. I think $1000 is to high.or is it fair if the top is truly in brand new condition.

Thanks

ryan

1) Unlikely unless your car had a hardtop on it previously and already has the spinlocks installed.
2) I'll see if I can take some shots of what they look like this weekend so you can check or perhaps someone else will post some pics
3) I normally see them go for $1,200 - $1,500

2K3_Boxster_S 02-19-2010 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mts
1) Unlikely unless your car had a hardtop on it previously and already has the spinlocks installed.
2) I'll see if I can take some shots of what they look like this weekend so you can check or perhaps someone else will post some pics
3) I normally see them go for $1,200 - $1,500

Thanks for the help. that's kinda of what I thought. Also, Could he remove his hardware and install it on my car then??? Since he doesn't plan on using a hardtop anymore. you need a special tool for that right??

thanks again :cheers:

Pirate50 02-19-2010 05:40 PM

Yes he could take his spinlocks out and install them in your car. It will take about an hour if you're mechanically inclined, more if not. It is 2 inserts and 2 retaining bolts, just a little tricky to get at. You could get the kit at a dealership for probably less than $100, that would save time of taking his out. I paid $1500 for mine 1 1/2 years ago, so not a bad price even though they have come down a little over the last year.

gschotland 02-20-2010 10:09 PM

I've seen tops regularly for $750-$950 on eBay. I've also seen hardtop installation kits for ~$200, although I'm not sure what's included.

Have you investigated how must it'll cost to paint? Gotta believe it'll be a few hundred bucks. If so, maybe it's better to hold out for a better deal (unless you need a hardtop badly) or one that's already the correct color. When it gets warmer I bet you'll see more for sale.

Frank M 02-21-2010 03:39 AM

It is possible to drive without the spin locks.
This should be only temporary as the back is not secured and will rattle at the rear.

I would buy the sellers spin-locks and install them, adjust everything nice before driving back. It can be tricky installing them and the right assortment of tools is needed. No special tools are needed. There are good write-ups on the installation.

A nice top, the correct color both outside and inside installed with spin locks is worth $1500 easy. Remember, the factory paint will match perfectly, both in color, depth and sheen.

http://mulone.com/hwm/porsche/

Benzito 02-21-2010 09:28 AM

I check eBay fairly regularly and I don't see them for the $750 - $950 noted above, but maybe we're looking at different searches. There is a guy in Maryland that regularly lists for $1395 and maybe you can pick it up rather than pay the freight.

I think $1500 is on the high side for something you know you have to repaint (more $$$). If it matched your car already, right in the range I've seen.

Remember also that we are in the rainy season. If you wait until summer, maybe the price range would be a few hundred cheaper, but you'll have to search hard for $1000 or less (IMO).

The spinlocks cost about $70 and you can probably install yourself. A shop might charge you 30 to 60 minutes of labor.

pschaub 02-22-2010 10:59 AM

2K3_Boxster_S / Benzito - For what its worth I purchased my hardtop from the same E-bay seller you are referring to in MD, no affiliation.

He was very informative, friendly, and personally delivered my Arctic Silver hardtop in excellent condition (for $300 from MD to NW Ohio). It came with all of the hardware (spin locks, panel covers etc..) and some good instructions for the installation. He also included the HEX KEY PWR TBALL 5(MM) tool with a blue (designating metric) "T" handle, 7.5" shank, 9.5" overall. Made installing the spin locks fairly easy.

My father and I were able to install the spin locks and hard top in about an hour.

2K3_Boxster_S 02-22-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gschotland
r one that's already the correct color. When it gets warmer I bet you'll see more for sale.

I will never find a top the correct color for my car. not sure what the actual numbers are but they didn't make very many Teal boxsters. Then narrow that down to how many people went with hardtop option.

Aron in Toronto 02-24-2010 06:21 AM

As others have said, you will need to install the spinlocks unless your car originally came with a hard top or the speedster humps.

$1000.00 is a pretty good price for a Boxster top. If it's local enough to pick up that's a big plus as shipping them is a pain and $$$. I paid $1,100.00 CDN a few years ago for mine but it was already painted to match my car. I've never seen them as low as $750. The 996 tops are less costly on the second hand market, but of course do not fit Boxsters.

Here is a link for a DIY spinlock install that will walk you through the procedure as well as show what to look for to check if your car is already equipped with them.

http://boxster.wikia.com/wiki/Hard_Tops

And a link for spinlocks ($74) at Suncoast Porsche.

http://www.****************************************************.com/product/986HSL.html?Category_Code=POTEBXEX

Suncoast also has the interior black plastic hardtop latch covers that were missing from mine.

The spinlocks are a bit of a pain to install and get the top adjusted properly. It may take a bit of fine tuning to silence all or most of the squeaks and rattles. The seller would need to be a pretty understanding guy to let you remove his spinlocks as it requires the temporary removal of some of his car's interior carpeted trim panels. But it can't hurt to ask.

I was able to slowly drive 10-15 miles home w/o spinlocks after picking up my top but I wouldn't recommend driving at highway speeds.

Benzito 02-26-2010 05:02 PM

The spinlocks are a ******************** to install (see my post in the general forum for what not to do. I can't imagine taking them out. Wouldn't be worth the pain, in my opinion.

By the way, I had placed feelers out all over the area for tops and had the choice to pick up any one of three for $1200 - $1400. Haven't see any lower than that, but a few costing more. Remember the locks will be $75 or so and you need the $5 5mm long hex wrench to install.