Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 07:19 AM   #1

Drift Boxster?

Could any one tell me what would be involved in altering a Boxster to a Drift setup?

silensaequora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:40 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silensaequora
Could any one tell me what would be involved in altering a Boxster to a Drift setup?
First you need to put the engine in the front!

The Boxster is a finely balanced machine, if you want go drifting buy a front engine rear drive Japmobile,thats what the drifting boys do!

Last edited by Christian H; 12-07-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #3

I'm sure you can get the car to drift if you run -15 degrees camber on all corners.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #4

I just think it would be too hard to keep and fine tune a drifting configuration. The car won't telegraph well when it's about to go too far - it'll snap. The rotation is too 'centric' and doesn't warn you well when it's about to go.

It would also be about HP. With the weight distribution, it'll challenge the engine to get the rear wheels spinning long enough to complete certain maneuvers.

kj
Boxster44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian H
First you need to put the engine in the front!

The Boxster is a finely balanced machine, if you want go drifting buy a front engine rear drive Japmobile,thats what the drifting boys do!
I disagree, the chassis is so communicative and easy to control that it would probably make a great drifter. Mid engined cars like the MR2 and NSX have been used extensively for drifting, not to mention the 911. I've seen some pretty extensive modifications to the cooling systems of drifting cars, which would probably be pretty pricey on the Porsche. Stiff chassis are paramount for drifting control though (the suspension itself has to be very stiff), this would be a drawback of the convertible Boxster.

In any case, it wouldn't be a cheap proposition.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Rennzenn

Garage
1. limited slip diff.
2. tires fit for the event
3. adjustable coilovers & camber plates
4. drift specific alignment/ suspension setup

Last year our PCA region did an AX driving clinic, and we included a skid pad. It was very telling how difficult it was for Boxsters, Caymans, 996's, and 997's to break the rear tires loose and get into a donut. The one fella with a 350Z literally smoked us all, as the car could immediately be put into a donut. Of course, he also regularly spins out during AX's...and loses to the Porsche crowd.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #7

Garage
this post was started by a guy who "wants to own a Boxster", and is as asking what would be required to set one up for drifting,I am suggesting if this is the type of motorsport he wants to enter into there are far more suitable and far cheaper alternatives.Communicative chassis or not the engine in the middle or back is not the best place to have the engine weight for drifting.Any drifters out there want to chip in?
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian H
this post was started by a guy who "wants to own a Boxster", and is as asking what would be required to set one up for drifting,I am suggesting if this is the type of motorsport he wants to enter into there are far more suitable and far cheaper alternatives.Communicative chassis or not the engine in the middle or back is not the best place to have the engine weight for drifting.Any drifters out there want to chip in?
He didn't mention if he was looking at a Boxster, already owned one, or was just curious. Break-away and control characteristics are a as much if not more a combination of suspension set-up, tire compound/design, and driver preference than weight distribution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0hBtfJ0LxQ
Old 12-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #9

Just why I chimed in - so I could be proven wrong! I've never drifted, but recently saw something at Infineon (on Speed Channel) and the speeds of those guys going into the first turn were something like 90mph.

The demo video you posted (while entertaining and risky) showed a smoothly trowelled concrete surface at ~ 10mph.

Now I'm really curious if there's anybody out there doing seriously competitive Boxster drifting - because the older 2.5s and 2.7s are pretty cheap and can be selectively lightened. Are the difter's choice of tires really hard?... DOT 300-400?

kj
Boxster44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:47 PM   #10

As noted a mid engine car can work for drift. Also if you go to youtube I am not the only person that wants to or has done this. And really, there are widebody kits for the Boxster available as well as a multitude of carbon fiber parts. Since I will be buying the car when I come back from deployment money is not the obstacle that it could be, though it is true that extensively moding a Boxster would be expensive. The very least I would have to do is stiffen the suspension and chassis, and add a roll cage.The point in the entire drift/import scene however is to drive something unique, thus an additional reason aside from wanting a Porsche to begin with. So really, please, do forgive me for wanting to do something aside from auto cross and drag.
silensaequora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:13 AM   #11

Increase frontend grip (more neg camber, adjustable shocks, a little toe out, wider wheel and tire)

Decrease rear grip (firmer setting on adjustable shocks, 0 toe or a little toe in, 0 camber, larger rear sway, higher tire pressure, small width rear tires)

More power or just buy an S (desnorkle 5hp, second cat delete 5-10hp, remap 5-10hp)

$1500 power mods.
$3000 suspension.
$2000 - skys the limit for wheels and tires.
$18-19k for a used Boxster S in good shape.

Experiment with alignment and have fun. Put money away for maintenance. Buy the nicest car in the best shape you can afford.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver arrow
$2000 - skys the limit for wheels and tires.
You obviously didn't read my post on 18" tires... $2k is just starting price for 1 set of tires.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:43 AM   #13

That's why I put "sky is the limit" because you can spend a lot on wheels and tires. If I was going to drift, I would use 17" wheel/tires because you will eat through tires quickly and 18" tires are more expensive. I would stick with 17" factory take off wheels and a good but inexpensive tire like Falkens, Toyo's, Kumho's. 18" tires from those companies aren't too bad either.

And no, I didn't read your post.

Last edited by silver arrow; 12-10-2008 at 11:45 AM.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #14

i drift mine

This is for all you people an your calculations on what you need and or why it cant. when i bought my 98 boxster all my friends were into drifting with there 240sx's, 350z's an what not. so i thought i got a perfomence car why not try it and so i did. Amazingly it worked out pretty well once i got some help from a actual drifter i was side ways all day an every upgrade is just a plus to what you can do. so for all u with ur camber this an upgrade that just go try it i'v drifted stock!!! unless a hardtop is an upgrade haha well have fun but tires arent cheep
spadednstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:46 AM   #15

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
You obviously didn't read my post on 18" tires... $2k is just starting price for 1 set of tires.
If you say so....
I paid $370 for set of 18" wheels (new BSA's) & $656 for set of Falken FK452's mounted. Total a little below $2k...

Then again, I cannot afford $2k tire set.

01 Speed Yellow Boxster S
- Tip
- PSE
- C4S Cluster with new style OBC
- 18" with 7mm rear spacers
- Litronics
- Fully de-ambered
- LED taillights
- Aluminium Pedals
- Integrated Garage Door Opener
- 986 emblem
- Yellow brake calipers with Brembo stickers
- Yellow center console
- Aerokit II wing & trunklid
- Eibach Pro springs
In memoriam: Black 935 Street
LowFlyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #16

I'm sorry, why the Brembo stickers?
986chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #17

The brakes on a boxster S are made by brembo...

And the guy drifting the boxster in what seemed like a garage, that was pretty cool. I wish I had enough experience to just drift around in parking garages

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:53 AM   #18

cool, thanks.
986chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:10 AM   #19
Porscheectomy

This one's pretty wild.

http://video.kenblockracing.com/flash/small_player/preloader.swf?vendor_id=204&media_id=9183&bgcolor=FFFFFF&autoplay=0
Old 12-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silensaequora
Yes I can, first by a Boxster S without PASM, I think 2000 is the only year without PASM, then install 16" wheels & tires stock size is fine. when you buy tires( and you will often) use Futura only available at Pep Boys cheap & Bobby Ore Motorsports & Stunt Driving School approved.

Next find a place to practice Drifting

Bondurant in Phoenix offers Drifting Schools also

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote