986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   '99 Box: Replaced AOS still looks like a fog machine! (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/23437-99-box-replaced-aos-still-looks-like-fog-machine.html)

cliptfc 01-24-2010 11:50 AM

'99 Box: Replaced AOS still looks like a fog machine!

Ok, I did spend about an hour and a half searching this forum to try to find an answer, but couldn't find anything that matched exactly what mine is doing...

I just bought the car (always wanted one) with smoke (LOTS OF SMOKE) comming from the exhaust. There was no knocking, ticking, water in the oil, milky oil ect. So, I thought it would be an easy fix with the air oil separator! I just changed it out today and it is still doing the same thing as it did before. It may be idleing and reving a little better. I let it run for about 15 minutes and there is no change and it does not overheat during the time either. I would shut it down for a few mins and then let it run again for several minutes... the smoke never improved!

I also unplugged one end of the j-tube while it was running and it died. So then I plugged up the j-tube and cranked it back up...still blowing the smoke! What else could this be? I'm at a loss. I sure thought it was the AOS! The new AOS that came in did look a little different. Mine (at the top) was more horizontal and the new one was more vertical. I assumed this was only an update? Please help!

Also have a couple more issues I'm not sure of. 1) I cannot get the windows to work. 2) The radio stays on all the time. I have to manually turn it off..even with the key out! 3) The MPH, and odo and the gear indicator (automatic trans) stay lit all the time as well.

Oh, the car only has 79k miles on it....

Viper5 01-24-2010 12:03 PM

Thats seems like a very bizarre issue you are having. I would have also guessed that the smoke is due to the AOS. Do you have a CEL? As for your electric problems... Does the button click for the windows? Do you have the becker radio (stock)? Maybe your battery is no good? I can't see how but try to unplug your car for 10 minutes and then reconnect battery. I'm doubtful but hey it's worth a shot.

cliptfc 01-24-2010 12:39 PM

Here is a little update:

Oil level is fine (1/2 way up marker)
Coolant level is fine
Tried driving down the road, made about 6 city blocks, way too much smoke to continue, turned around, came back to the house.
No Check Engine Light...

Very confused about what to do next. I'm about 2 hours from a porsche dealer and really don't want to go that route!

For the electrics:

It acts like it this a key is still in the ignition. When you open the door with the key out, it still dings.
I cannot get the remote to arm (may need to re-learn the key?)
It's a stock radio.
You can hear a faint click when you push the window down button (they are already down). You hear nothing when you try to make them come up. I've tried with the top up and down.
The top open warning light is on, even with it's closed. I heard there is a sensor for this?

Cloudsurfer 01-24-2010 01:08 PM

It's possible that you did fix the problem by swapping the AOS, but that there is still a decent bit of oil in the exhaust that needs to burn off.

cliptfc 01-24-2010 01:29 PM

How long should this take to clear all the old oil out? Is there anything I can do to speed this up? I am not very good at being a Porsche mechanic yet, so please help me out with the details if you know anything!

blue2000s 01-24-2010 01:32 PM

The leading suspect in many electrical issues is the ignition switch.

mikes_box 01-24-2010 03:02 PM

I'd try and drain the oil and then refill with new. Also clean out maf and throttle body.. When I changed mine out took about 20 mons of running to clearnout smoke but u might have more oil in there..

jbox53 01-25-2010 12:08 PM

mine smoked until Jake R. told me to switch from 10-30W to 10-40W. No more smoke.

cliptfc 01-25-2010 01:07 PM

I think I will try the heavier oil since the oil needs to be changed anyway.

Here is another update: I cranked it up this morning and it had a quick puff of smoke then it quit! I drove it two blocks out to the highway feeder road, took off and stomped onthe gas. It quickly took off, but the sputtered and almost died. Then the smoke started back again. I took it back home, let it sit for awhile. Cranked it back up and no smoke! Did almost the same test again, getting on the feeder road.... and it did the same thing as before... started sputtering, almost died and started smoking.

I think I am having an issue reusing the old j-tube. I noticed there are two different tubes listed for a 1999. With the original AOS, the old hose seemed to fit perfect. With the new AOS, I had to pull the hose REALLY hard to get it to 'click' in place.. and i'm not sure if it even clicked correctly (may hav a vacuum leak). How do I know which hose to buy? I think it asked for a chassy number, but not sure where to find that. Should I use the later number hose since the AOS is a newer style?

I'm starting to think I am still buring old oil out of the intake and exhaust. It sure is taking a LONG time though! You guys mentioned cleaning the MAF and throttle body. That looks like a simple task, anything I should watch out for? The MAF is the electronic part on side of the throttle body, correct?

Oh, another update.. the windows started working! I'm not sure why! It still thinks the key is in the ignition even when the key is removed however.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND ADVICE SO FAR!!!! I promise to help where I can in this forum as well.

clickman 01-25-2010 03:36 PM

As previously mentioned, you need to do this (credit to Mike Focke):

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/ignitionswitchreplacement

ARModen 01-26-2010 01:58 PM

Is it light smoke or dark smoke? I think it's possible that you're running very rich and the smoke is unburnt gas not burnt oil. I'm a carb guy not an ecu guy, but the loss of power when you aggressively accelerate followed by smoking sounds like you're flooding the engine. Your MAF or throttle body could be all clogged up from the oil. If you've run it this much, and have put out that much smoke have you noticed a drop in oil level, or terrible gas mileage?

ARModen 01-26-2010 02:00 PM

Oh yeah and a puff of smoke when you first start it up in the morning is not unusual even when it's running very well.

cliptfc 01-26-2010 03:34 PM

good points. the last two days, there has been zero smoke on start-up. i can drive the car at slow speeds, it wont smoke. if i mash the petal, it will begin smoking and will not quit even if you slow back down. you have to let the car rest (off) for quite awhile then the smoking will stop when it is cranked back up.

i think i will clean the throttle body and MAF tomorrow as well as change the oil to 10w40.

oh, if you leave it running and park it after the smoke starts, it will drip oil from the exhaust tip (very slowly). still no knocking, ticking, milky oil, or low water yet...

Jake Raby 01-26-2010 04:10 PM

The intake as well as the cats and muffler will have residual oil inside them.. It'll take a few days to get that all out of the systems..

cliptfc 01-28-2010 02:25 PM

ok! I think the smoke is fixed! I think it just had a ton of residual oil left in there! It took about 35 miles of driving 60mph, but no more smoke! It was the AOS all along!

Also, I replaced the ignition switch but it still acted like a key in, even after it was removed. Found out the actual key socket was extremely dirty and not popping back out like it should. I cleaned with brake cleaner, then oiled it, now it works fine!

But the windows.. ahh the windows.. they still won't roll back up! I'm going to post a new topic on this.. maybe someone knows?