Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #1

Garage
Oven curing calipers...

So I am spraying my rotors with some VHT high heat satin paint so far so good. Now once finished im planning on oven curing them at 350 for 30 mins. Now when i do my calipers I want to do the same BUT the calipers have rubber gaskets and whatnot in it so would oven curing it be a bad bad Idea? or should I just use that time to rebuild the caliber and remove everything off of it? and thoughts?

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
So I am spraying my rotors with some VHT high heat satin paint so far so good. Now once finished im planning on oven curing them at 350 for 30 mins. Now when i do my calipers I want to do the same BUT the calipers have rubber gaskets and whatnot in it so would oven curing it be a bad bad Idea? or should I just use that time to rebuild the caliber and remove everything off of it? and thoughts?
Beside the obvious issues with soft parts like piston sealing boots (which should be removed before doing this), I would never want to eat anything that was cooked in that oven afterwards..................
Old 01-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #3

Garage
lol good thing i havent done it yet? howcome? i just figured its already a gas oven what are the side effects?
Old 01-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #4

Quote:
lol good thing i havent done it yet? howcome? i just figured its already a gas oven what are the side effects?
You should be Ok as long as your wife does not find out.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #5

Quote:
High temp coatings typically do more than flash off solvents, they also tend to vaporize compounds that are not really good to ingest. As your oven is also gas, you could also get a "flash over" ignition from the solvents. Somehow, this just doesn't sound like that good an idea...............
Old 01-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #6

Well, the obvious thing to do is rebuild the calipers after curing the paint. Pull the pistons and seals and place tin foil in the bores before curing the calipers. Rebuild them after the paint is cured.

While JFP makes a point, there are ways around this too.

Line the oven with tinfoil, or 'tent' the caliper in tinfoil before placing it in the oven, dispose of it afterward. Also, with hi-temp paint, you allow it to air dry at room temp and only heat it to cure the already dried paint meaning that there will be very few released particulates. Since the range hood is usually in close proximity to the oven, I'd run it for the time you're curing, and as an added precaution close any doors leading into the rest of the house. Then, of course, you would always want to clean the oven afterward. I have used my oven to cure items and never had an issue following these guidelines.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #7

Garage
in light of everyones input ive decided to put off curing the rotors. they are on their last use as is SO ill let that slide. as far as the calipers thanks lil bastard for the advice and ill do just that. (the rebuilding after of course) but ill pick up an electric stove on the cheap from craigs list or something and keep in the garage for this task in the future. thanks everyone for the help!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:41 AM   #8

I absolutely would not want to do this in an oven that I intend to use again for food. I also wouldn't want to use a gas oven for this, due to the (albeit small) risk of a flash fire. You can pickup an electric oven on Craigslist for $50-$100, so that's what I'd do.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #9

Forget the Oven!!

Try the G2 Caliper paint. Easy to apply and really duarble. Less than $40.00
DamageINC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I agree... Forget the oven. Just use the G2 caliper paint kit.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I have used my oven to cure items and never had an issue following these guidelines.
Except for the chicken tasting a little like metal now and your subsequent eye tick and occasional twitching

I'm betting Mrs. LB wanted to know why you were baking car parts. I know Mrs. Neighbour sure would.

Now I gotta try this myself.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #12

Yeah, I've been caught sticking stuff in the freezer before (bearings, races, etc). That's type stuff is hard to explain to a non-gearhead...

My wife would freak if she caught me baking a porsche souffle in the oven.

Of course, I'm still planning to stick an old headlight in there. Thats my next recipe.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Except for the chicken tasting a little like metal now and your subsequent eye tick and occasional twitching

I'm betting Mrs. LB wanted to know why you were baking car parts. I know Mrs. Neighbour sure would.

Now I gotta try this myself.
Mrs. Lb knows better than to ask after all these years.

The Oven became 'approved' for auto projects the time I had to replace the front seal on her Jag which is a negative press fit - front cover needs to be heated in an oven (after thoroughly cleaning of course) to expand the opening, then you press the seal in before the cover cools to contract around it.

Front Seal replacement at the Dealer - $2300. Use of oven to allow husband to install $15 seal... PRICELESS!

Cheers!

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote