Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 01:12 AM   #1

Oil Leak Question, not RMS or MS

Hey guys, recently my box has been dropping oil like there is no tomorrow. Its let out at least 8 quarts over the last 3 weeks or so.

I had a buddy of mine whos finishing up his degree at WyoTech in PA take a look (he is currently in contract negotiations with Porsche to work for them) at it and he said its coming from the top of the engine on the right side. The RMS and MS are both intact, the trail and spray of the oil indicate it came from the topside.

Now, I had about a 8 or 9 beers when he told me this (small house party and he wanted to take a peak at it while some of us were smoking) and he said it was either the _____ gasket or the ______ valve right under the passenger/right side intake.

Would anyone happen to know which gasket and valve he is referring to, how much they cost (parts), and if I would need any specialized tools to do the job? I know he can do it for me, I just would like to know if I'd be able to do it myself.

Thanks,

Adam

PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:19 AM   #2
dalealan2001

Maybe if you smoked and drank more you would remember!. lol
Old 01-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersExpress
Hey guys, recently my box has been dropping oil like there is no tomorrow. Its let out at least 8 quarts over the last 3 weeks or so.

I had a buddy of mine whos finishing up his degree at WyoTech in PA take a look (he is currently in contract negotiations with Porsche to work for them) at it and he said its coming from the top of the engine on the right side. The RMS and MS are both intact, the trail and spray of the oil indicate it came from the topside.

Now, I had about a 8 or 9 beers when he told me this (small house party and he wanted to take a peak at it while some of us were smoking) and he said it was either the _____ gasket or the ______ valve right under the passenger/right side intake.

Would anyone happen to know which gasket and valve he is referring to, how much they cost (parts), and if I would need any specialized tools to do the job? I know he can do it for me, I just would like to know if I'd be able to do it myself.

Thanks,

Adam
There's a good chance he was talking about a crankcase vent tube/valve (but I believe it's on the driver side) and/or a head gasket. The thing is I don't think the M96 uses traditional head gaskets. I believe it uses a liquid style sealant like permatex. That's a huge oil leak. It should be fairly easy to see where it's originating from. Put the top in the service postion and if you still can't find it, make sure the engine has plenty of oil and start it. Once the oil is under pressure it should become apparent.

Last edited by Adam; 01-20-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #4

clean the motor and see where it leaks.

dallison is offline   Reply With Quote