Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Removed Intake Muffler, Sounds great!

Hey guys, My saturday project was to remove the sound muffler from the end of the intake tube near the throttle body.

It sounds GREAT! Since i already Desnorkeled, i already get that great intake growl from 4800 rpms and up but now with the intake muffler removed, i get this great deep growl at lower rpms that i can sometimes feel in my chest and back which starts at a suprizingly low 2800 rpms.

Since i couldnt find a plug to cap off the intake tube where the muffler once connected to, I bought a 60 second epoxy from autozone, mixed that in a plastic deposible cup which i cut 2/3rd's of its height away and plunged the portal where the muffler once attached into the cup full of epoxy and let it set for 3 minutes then pulled the cup off and let it dry for about 20 more minutes before installing... If you want more growl and dont want to buy a $300+ intake which is basically a peice of tube, then i recommend this mod for you!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #2

Sweet, lol how do i do this mod?, can you make a dyi, does it cause a Cel?

thanks
Old 02-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #3

Since i dont have a camera on me ill explain what you need to do.

Parts & Supplies
-8mm socket
-10mm socket
-Ratchet + extension
-Pliers
-Plastic disposible cup
-60 second quick drying Epoxy

Instructions

1) Place top in service mode and remove engine cover.

2) Uplug & Remove MAF

3) Remove hose clamps that hold intake tube to airbox and throttle body.

4) Remove 10mm bolt that holds intake muffler to engine lift bracket.

5) Now, the tricky part... Removing the Intake tube, It wont just lift outta there, the muffler is so bulky that it'll prevent it from coming out UNLESS you pinch the clamp that holds the muffler to the intake tube while you pull the intake tube out.... This will cause the muffler to slip off the intake tube thus alowing the intake to come out of the engine bay, then you can remove the muffler from the engine bay.

6) Now clean the inner and outter surfaces of the neck of the intake where teh muffler attached.

7) Get a plastic disposible Dixie or similar cup and chop about 2/3rd's of its hieght away.

8) Now start mixing your epoxy inside the shortened cup for about 15 seconds with a stick or similar device

9) Now plunge the intake tube's muffler neck into the cup of epoxy and let it set for about 3 muntes or until cured then let it sit for 15 more minutes before reinstalling the intake tube.

10) Now reinstall everything (minus the intake muffler) in reverse order

Alittle FYI, this was done to a 1997 boxster and some newer boxsters (E-gas versions) may not be able to do this mod cause of a redesign in the intake tube. In newer boxsters the intake muffler is integrated into the intake tube and isnt removable.

DISCLAIMER This forum nor I are responsible for any malfuntions, mechanical failures and deaths which may occur by doing this mod. Mod/Hack at your own risk.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance

Last edited by CJ_Boxster; 02-25-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkboxster
Sweet, lol how do i do this mod?, can you make a dyi, does it cause a Cel?

thanks
Oh yeah, as for check engine lights, i dont know cause i already have one due to a secondary air injection gremlin that i have yet to fix but ill recheck the computer for any new codes later today.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 02-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #5

interesting! now the part that i don't understand. the plastic cup and epoxy....am i glueing the cup somewhere...kind of confused. circular cap/plug doesn't help. if you could please explain this further. or pics would be amazing!!

i'm jealous i want to try tooo!!

i'm fairly good with my hands, so if you could make me understand in a better way.
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #6

I have the True Flow intake which also deletes this small muffler as you call it. No cell lights will come on. Its really nothing more than a silencer along the intake tube. I think if you look at Home Depot you should be able to find a circular cap/plug for that size hole. It will make your car growl more. Here is the area he is talking about. It looks like a small box that is connected to the intake tube. Inside of it you will find a white foam silencer. There really is no need for this part other than to quite down the noise level. In fact, this area being removed should provide better air flow. I would suggest buying a 90 degree elbow bend plastic tube from Pepboys and making your own intake tube. It's pretty easy. This will delete number 6, 7 & 8.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 02-25-2008 at 01:41 PM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #7

thank you for the picture. can't i leave it open, why even glue a cup to the end, if it's open anyways. does this make sense. if i get an elblow put on, i am still leaving it open. or am i missing a step. i am pulling the silencer out of the box, so the box is now empty. will i be putting the box back also. dumb questions...i guess when i open, i should be able to figure it out better.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Roadster
thank you for the picture. can't i leave it open, why even glue a cup to the end, if it's open anyways. does this make sense. if i get an elblow put on, i am still leaving it open. or am i missing a step. i am pulling the silencer out of the box, so the box is now empty. will i be putting the box back also. dumb questions...i guess when i open, i should be able to figure it out better.
No. You are right. If you buy an elbow silicone cupler and also buy an extra clamp, there is no hole left and no need for messing with epoxy or anything like that. Look at this picture. Simply cut the tube at the ribbed part at the end going towards the throtle body and add the new elbow at that end with the new clamp.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:37 PM   #9

If you buy a silicone elbow and an extra metal clamp, after your install it should look like this.

Most aftermarket cold air intakes kit like the Evo and Trueflow come with these parts deleting the same box alone the intake tube. This is a very simple and inexpensive way to ad a more true air flow pathway to the T.B.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
Porscheectomy

Technically, it's called a resonator. The resonator IS the box, the foam inside is a secondary noise canceling measure. It's typical on most intake tracts. It's function is to capture pressure (sound) waves, bounce them around, and send them back up into the intake plenum 180 degrees out of phase, thus canceling some of the noises coming through the throttle body. It's like a passive version of those Bose noise canceling headphones.

It doesn't effect flow, so removing it will not change the performance of the engine. Removing it can't throw the check engine light.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #11

which website gives the exploded image views?

Thanks
Nick
SinnerDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinnerDC2
which website gives the exploded image views?

Thanks
Nick
None that I know of. I've been making these in Photoshop from the PDF manual that I have on my computer.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #13

ahhh beautiful. this helps. thank you so much. i shall try this mod.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #14

okay you've helped out this much...i might as well ask one last question.
this new silicone elbow, what is the diameter? what size am i looking for approx!
Old 02-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Roadster
What my directions say todo is to remove and discard part number 6, 7 & 8 completely...
The Epoxy in the cup will be jammed onto the opening circled in the picture... However once the epoxy is cured abit and almost solid, you peal the 2/3rd size cup off and the epoxy should stay behind stuck onto the opening circled in red.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 02-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #16

Is this before or after the air filter? If after than I would be wary of your epoxy plug. If, over time it hardens and cracks, little chunks of epoxy could start heading towards the intake valves. Ugliness and tears would ensue. I think using the elbow makes a lot more sense.

Regards,
Alan
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #17

Hmmm, i dont know... i dont see that epoxy cracking, i mean nothing touches it, no moving parts either and rated up 2500 psi before point of failure. I can see an airfilter deteriating sooner than the chunk of epoxy but your right about the elbow... does seem safer, But imma stick with the stock elbow its hard inner surface will probably help echo the intake noise alittle better than a softer sylicone elbow.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 02-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #18
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Hmmm, i dont know... i dont see that epoxy cracking, i mean nothing touches it, no moving parts either and rated up 2500 psi before point of failure. I can see an airfilter deteriating sooner than the chunk of epoxy but your right about the elbow... does seem safer, But imma stick with the stock elbow its hard inner surface will probably help echo the intake noise alittle better than a softer sylicone elbow.
Heat + vibration + pressure from a hose clamp (if you're using one). I'd be looking for a molded plug.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:38 AM   #19
Track rat

Garage
CJ,
Am I missing something here? Is the resonance box just a muffler to reduce intake noise or is it an important part of the factory tuned intake. With a properly tuned intake, sonic waves from the intake pulse combine with airflow to force charge the cylinders as much as 125% of airflow alone. Porsche has been tuning this for a long time to give us better top end power and that nice big fat torque curve that gets us out of corners quickly.

I don't know the answer to this, just raising the question. Tuning an intake/exhaust is a lot more like tuning a musical instrument than we realize. It would be disappointing to remove the res. box and get a narrowing of the torque curve and lose 10hp in the process. Faster good, Slower bad! Any Porsche racing techs in the know on this?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #20

I'm with Topless - obviously missing something here. How does plugging a hole allow more sound to get out?.

Also agree that the airflow characteristics are likely altered. For the better? Worse? That I cannot say. But, the OEM piece is certainly not merely an afterthought by Porsche.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote