986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   1997 Boxster Rear Strut Brace (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/23244-1997-boxster-rear-strut-brace.html)

DamageINC123 01-04-2010 07:22 AM

1997 Boxster Rear Strut Brace

I am looking at adding strut braces to help reduce wheel hop in tight corners. My questions is whether to add a rear brace at the top or bottom of the struts. I have seen both and wanted to know if anyone has done any testing. I was looking to add the Schnell Brace until I saw Pedro's brace.

ppbon 01-04-2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamageINC123
I am looking at adding strut braces to help reduce wheel hop in tight corners. My questions is whether to add a rear brace at the top or bottom of the struts. I have seen both and wanted to know if anyone has done any testing. I was looking to add the Schnell Brace until I saw Pedro's brace.

The upper strut brace stiffens the body a little bit (reduces flexing).
The lower strut brace is the one that eliminates axle hopping.

When I tested I was able to measure 1.15 mm deflection at the bottom of the rear suspension under very hard, under power cornering (Auto Cross conditions).

Between the upper strut braces there was negligible deflection, nevertheless, when I installed the upper brace, it eliminated small creaks in my car when entering driveways at an angle, so it stiffens the bodywork a bit.
I also found the same thing for the front upper struts. very little if any deflection, but they seem to stiffen the coachwork.
I personally have all three in my car.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Johnny Danger 01-04-2010 09:03 AM

I agree with Pedro. I have all 3 installed in my vehicle as well. And the end result was exactly how Pedro described it.

p.s. When it comes to finding a rear strut brace for the 986, you'll discover that there are very few choices. In fact, I was only able to come across three brands, Schnell ( which always seems to be out of stock ), Titanium Advantage ( nice, but very expensive ) and OBX Racing ( found on Ebay for cheap $$$ and virtually identical to the Schnell ).

DamageINC123 01-04-2010 09:12 AM

Thank you!!! Pedro, I will be contacting you shortly!!

DamageINC123 01-04-2010 11:58 AM

Pedro,

I just shot you an email at Pedro's Garage. Let me know what I neeed to do. Thanks

jaykay 03-09-2011 12:44 PM

Titanium advantage

Does anyone know if titanium advantage is still active and taking orders? I have tried to contact them and hear nothing.... A little leary about placing an order