Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Matt Fredrikson
Light peddal feel after high rpm

Hi guys, been trolling here for a bit since I bought my 02 S and did some searching but haven't found anything specific to my issue.

I belive my clutch is on its way out since once the car has been pushed up over 5 or 6K rpm the clutch will feel very very light untill the car cools down. The clutch feels great on extended drives unless its rev'd like this and even after it is feeling this way it hold no problem there is no slippage whatsoever. It also dosn't need to be moving to bring this symptom on. I tested it by doing a clutch in 1st gear rev to 5K a couple of times and can up with the same issue. I am finding it strange that it would just give me a light peddal after one pull and no slip but maybe you guys have some advice. I come from driving a 500+hp Eagle Talon before this so I've had a few clutches go in my time!

Thanks in advance for any help even though I am already planning to do the clutch in the spring!

Matt Fredrikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:46 AM   #2

So you're saying you get a light clutch pedal after doing launches at 6,000 rpm?! Yeah you are over heating the clutch. Not only is it hard on the clutch and shortening it's life, I don't know how you're not getting a crap load of wheel hop unless of course you're slipping the clutch like crazy. If you need to launch the car try about half the rpm you're currently using. I do multiple launches when I autocross and this has worked well for me with minimal overheating of the clutch.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #3

Could it be that there is air or water trapped in the hydraulic clutch line? Get it hot, and it gets squishy...

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:13 PM   #4

I'm not launching at that rpm what is happening is for example I pull out to pass on the highway, downshift and accelerate in say third or fourth gear. Or better yet accelerating through 2nd gear away from a light. Water or air in the line could make sense except for the fact that I drive 40km each way to work and as long as the car dosn't see higher rpm's its compleatly fine.

Also, having launched the car a few times ( properly mind you ) I found that I have a few times had wheel hop if I was too high or didn't slip enough, again showing that I'm not getting any major slippage, at least while its "cold".
Old 12-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #5

So you're saying the clutch is extra light when you shift at high rpm, but it's ok at lower rpm. I don't know that one, that's a stumper. Hopefully someone has an answer.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #6

Light only after it has recently been to high rpm however, the first shift as I'm at high rpm is good then no matter if you stay on it and shift high again or slow down and shift low the clutch feels light. So for example, run it up to 6K in second and then shift from 3rd to 4th at 2500rpm and continue on as such the car shifts light untill it has a chance to be parked and cool down.

Again, by light I mean peddal takes no effort to push could be done by hand with ease. I would say the clutch is worn but its almost as once some power is applied and heat generated the pressure plate fingers loose there spring back. If that makes sense.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #7

Air in slave cylinder??

Sounds like you may have some air in your clutch hydrauilc slave cylinder & when it gets hot, it will feel soft or spongy. I would bleed / flush the system and go from there....
Cheaper than a clutch replacement.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:05 AM   #8

ya I deffinatly think that's what needs to happen, last night my pedal feel become very spongy and soft. Hard clucking shifts, hard to get in gear, poor ingage/disengagement. Gonna have it flushed but may be a master cyl issue also.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:21 PM   #9

Got it looked at apparently needs a new clutch, also found 3 torn cv boots so gotta have that fixed up too. Glad that my Visa gets me points ! lol