Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #1

Garage
Techno brace and evo rear strut brace

What can i expect from putting in a technoBRACE and a evo motorsports CR strut tower brace are they that significant? is one a better first step than the other? does anyone have any experience from either and if so what did you notice and what do you think.

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:32 AM   #2

Garage
I installed the Techno-Brace on my 2000 Box. I really didn't notice any performance handling change but I really just bought it because it gives me peace of mind that the rear of the car is stronger.
mmontfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:30 AM   #3

I know I'm an interested party but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
What can i expect from putting in a technoBRACE and a evo motorsports CR strut tower brace are they that significant? is one a better first step than the other? does anyone have any experience from either and if so what did you notice and what do you think.
... here's the lowdown.
The top of the struts are already sufficiently strong, because they are part of the unibody. Having said that, I did install a rear top strut brace many years ago, together with a top front strut brace and they did eliminate a little squeaking when the car went up (sideways) on a ramp or driveway.
Both of those braces are still on my car, because they do help tie things down a bit and the car flexes less.
The TechnoBrace however does tie together the bottom end of the rear suspension, which is only held in place by the aluminum skid plate, which can easily flex.
When I started doing R&D on the TechnoBrace I measured deflection of up to 0.6 mm between the bottom of the rear struts.
During daily driving or straight-line driving, such as highway, you will not notice a difference with or without it.
Where it shines is at the AX track or any time where you are cornering hard under power. It lowers my times about 1 second on a 60 second course.
The reason why it works is because it maintains your car's rear camber setting throughout the turn, allowing for maximum tire contact with the road and eliminating what's known as axle hopping.
This type of brace was also very common on the earlier Miatas until Mazda decided to supply them installed from the factory.
Hope this helps.
Feel free to contact me directly for any additional information.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 12-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #4

Garage
interesting so does it basically make it a non independant suspension in the rear?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
interesting so does it basically make it a non independant suspension in the rear?
No. It reinforces the factory setup for tying up the mounting points for the rear suspension. Your rear suspension is still independent regardless of any bracing.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #6

Garage
ok sounds good. unfortunately suspension and how it all works is a little bit of hocus pocus to me. i understand the whole bracing in front and rear to help solidify the frame and obviously what pedro was saying about the camber under big turns and acceleration and what not. but knowing what each piece (droplinks, struts, springs, coilovers and what not) is a little beyond me.