Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #1

1997 Boxster CEL code P1126 questions

Okay. I know this has been asked and yes, I am pretty new here. Just have a few quick questions.

Car has 70k miles. CEL light came on a week ago. Code P1126 only, no other codes.

Pulled and carefully cleaned the maf with maf cleaner (it didn't look bad at all, no oil or whatever...have stock air box with paper filter). Put it back in, Cleared code by disconnect of battery for =/- 30 seconds.

Drove approx 300 miles. Light is back on.

So...should I try to clean it again, maybe I didn't do a great job the first time.

There seems to be so many answers to this code, but it usually has another code with it and not just the one. Gas cap defective? Oil filler cap defective? Maybe the maf is shot and cleaning is a waste of time.

Doesn't seem to be running rough. I checked the cold start up and you can hear the humming for 60 seconds or so of the fuel pump, I believe.

Any help would be great. I know I should probably bite the bullet and go to sunset imports here in beaverton, or or something but if I can figure it out with my limited skills, that would be great.

Otherwise, car is great. It's a 97 triple black with factory hardtop.

Backnblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #2

Forgot to add. Idle is holding steady at 750. My girlfriend has been driving it and she is not very good about reseting the trip meter so not sure if mileage is suffering. Doesn't seem to be. No strange noises. Doesn't seem to be running rough or hesitate.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #3

Found a vacuum leak. Seems to have fixed the problem. We will see.