986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   wierd single beep problem when i lock up (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/22901-wierd-single-beep-problem-when-i-lock-up.html)

unclepauly 11-27-2009 01:07 PM

wierd single beep problem when i lock up

hello,

i have a boxster 2000, W Reg.

as the title suggests i have a wierd single beep problem when i lock up. however, it only happens when i open and close the boot (the rear one). it doesn't happen normally. in other words, this happens:

i get in the car and go for a drive. i get out and lock the car with the remote key fob. everything is fine. i unlock the car with the remote key fob, and then open the boot, and then close it. i then lock the car again. here i get the beep ! then i get back in the car and go for a drive, i get out and lock the car...its fine again !

can anyone explain this ? the only other thing i will say is that i have the car set on automatic locking, so the doors lock automatically when the car gets to 3mph. maybe the boot is only locking 'properly' when the car auto-locks itself, and not when i use the key. but this doesnt make sense ! and i was hoping someone could tell me why this is happening.

turbo23dog 11-28-2009 10:40 AM

Check the lid for the oddments tray between the seats. The lid has to be shut/latched to fully activate the alarm.

yous130278 11-29-2009 04:47 AM

Beep when lock doors with key.

Hey, I kinda get the same thing.

My key fob no longer works, so I have to shut the car manually. When I lock the doors there is a single beep and thats it. No sure why this is, can anyone shed any light on this one?

Thanks.....

unclepauly 11-29-2009 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo23dog
Check the lid for the oddments tray between the seats. The lid has to be shut/latched to fully activate the alarm.

no its not this. it only beeps after following the steps i describe in my first post.

GPReyes 11-29-2009 10:26 AM

I get the same thing on occassion...

random single beep sometimes when i lock up... and sometimes none...

weird..

and i rarely use the boot ... it's just some random thing... doesnt really bother me... but would love some sorta explanation any help?

texomawaves 11-30-2009 07:45 AM

When I lock mine using the fob it doesn't honk, but when I decide to unlock then lock a SECOND time is when the horn honks. I'm thinking that the honk indicates the car is locked, but the security system is disarmed. I'll try that theory out tonight when I get home and test it.

texomawaves 11-30-2009 02:49 PM

I did some further testing and discovered that if the horn honks once then either a door, trunk, or oddiments compartment isn't shut completely. If it honks intermittently then you likely have a faulty switch issue. In my case the oddiments compartment was partially shut.
:cheers:

Lil bastard 12-01-2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texomawaves
I did some further testing and discovered that if the horn honks once then either a door, trunk, or oddiments compartment isn't shut completely. If it honks intermittently then you likely have a faulty switch issue. In my case the oddiments compartment was partially shut.

Not the same animal at all. These guys are across the pond. The UK alarm system is COMPLETELY different than the US market one, for one thing, their's has a true motion sensor - not at all like the IR motion detector on the US model. Additionally they have a klaxon siren w/ separate battery backup power supply.

I wouldn't even know where to begin. Ask the local Porsche Service Mgr. for advice or shoot an email to AutoFarm - http://www.autofarm.co.uk/

Bavaria986 12-02-2009 10:01 PM

As others have said, the single beep is to let you know that something is open and the car may not be 100% secure. I got caught out with the oddments tray not being shut properly.

In the first couple of weeks of owning my 986, I kept getting this single beep and couldn't work out why my rear boot was always off the catch. I thought I had a faulty boot catch but it turned out I was using the wrong button on the key fob to unlock the car.. :D

Box4two 07-23-2014 06:15 AM

This issue just drove me crazy for last 2 days, I kept checking all my doors and trunks and the single beep would not go away, read this thread this morning, and sure enough, my odiments tray was not fully closed.......problem solved::cheers:

rdass623 07-23-2014 09:05 PM

if you are key locking the vehicle and you cycle through the lock unlock from time to time it will activate the alarm. like when you are checking to ensure the car is locked and you are tugging on the door handle it opens and you close it and get it locked, without cycling through the ignition sequence. just when you hear the beep while locking it, be prepared to get the key into the ignition quickly upon opening the door and entering the car.

kinda difficult to describe, but it happens. with the remote, I have found typically the frunk is open (not fully locked) but in the down semi-latched position.