986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Fault code 95 (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/22783-fault-code-95-a.html)

BoxsterSenior 11-15-2009 03:43 PM

Fault code 95

Yesteday I connected my Durametric to clear the air bag system light due to a seat belt issue. While it was connected, I ran a fault search on the Engine DME and a PO446 Porsche fault code 95 popped up. The software identifed it as a shut off valve activated / charcoal filter.
Question: Can anyone tell me the meaning of this code and what should be done, if anything.
Thanks.

JFP in PA 11-16-2009 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterSenior
Yesteday I connected my Durametric to clear the air bag system light due to a seat belt issue. While it was connected, I ran a fault search on the Engine DME and a PO446 Porsche fault code 95 popped up. The software identifed it as a shut off valve activated / charcoal filter.
Question: Can anyone tell me the meaning of this code and what should be done, if anything.
Thanks.

First, the fault code is P0446; the old “95” is an internal designation for Porsche which is no longer used. The fault indicates that the purge air line going to the EVAP emissions canister is plugged or otherwise blocked. The line needs to be disconnected from the canister and blown out with compressed air..........

BoxsterSenior 11-16-2009 01:08 PM

Thanks JPF in PA

Can you give me an idea where the EVAP emissions canister is located? In the engine compartment accessable from the top?

JFP in PA 11-16-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterSenior
Thanks JPF in PA

Can you give me an idea where the EVAP emissions canister is located? In the engine compartment accessable from the top?

The EVAP system is located in the passenger's side front wheel well, just below the fuel filler. You will need to remove the wheel and the inner fender liner to get at it..............

yimmy149 11-16-2009 04:12 PM

That's interesting... A couple months ago I was in my fender looking for the trunk release line, and I noticed there was a hose floating around in there, but couldn't tell where it was supposed to go.

Is my car going to burst into flames? :D

-james

BoxsterSenior 11-16-2009 04:50 PM

Thanks JFP in PA

I'll work on it this coming weekend.

JFP in PA 11-17-2009 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yimmy149
That's interesting... A couple months ago I was in my fender looking for the trunk release line, and I noticed there was a hose floating around in there, but couldn't tell where it was supposed to go.

Is my car going to burst into flames? :D

-james

Only if you chose to give it a Viking Funeral. There are several vent/drain lines around the car; you might have just been looking at one............

Porsche_Baller 11-20-2009 02:06 AM

fuel filter

Ive got a fuel filter ordered waiting for it to come in... do i get to it the same way? (removing the front passenger wheel well? :cool:

JFP in PA 11-20-2009 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche_Baller
Ive got a fuel filter ordered waiting for it to come in... do i get to it the same way? (removing the front passenger wheel well? :cool:

No, the cars that used fuel filters (not all years do) have them towards the rear of the car, beneath the large rear belly pan, near the driver's side rear wheel.......

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/R...6-filtered.jpg

Porsche_Baller 11-21-2009 04:00 AM

No fuel filter?!?

So did the 99 come with a fuel filter? I looked for it but I may have pulled off the wrong skid plate ;). Some of the years didn't come with a fuel filter? How the hell would that work?!? How would the trash stay out the motor? :confused:

JFP in PA 11-21-2009 07:18 AM

Quote:

So did the 99 come with a fuel filter? I looked for it but I may have pulled off the wrong skid plate ;). Some of the years didn't come with a fuel filter? How the hell would that work?!? How would the trash stay out the motor? :confused:

If memory serves, the early cars thru 2002 had filters that could be changed; the later cars have a filter in the tank as part of the fuel pump that is not serviceable...........

Porsche_Baller 11-21-2009 02:52 PM

O

Ahh... I see... That's bout the most retarded thing I've ever herd of. But who am I to question them :/

Steve Tinker 11-21-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Ahh... I see... That's bout the most retarded thing I've ever herd of. But who am I to question them :/

Not quite a retarded idea - wait untill you have to replace the fuel filter shown in JFP's picture........