986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Porsche Boxster Clutch (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/22725-porsche-boxster-clutch.html)

babyboxster 11-10-2009 11:42 AM

Porsche Boxster Clutch

Hi Folks,

Urgently need some help.

I have a 04 plat boxster 228. The clutch however seems to have burnt by the smell of things. Only been drivin 39,000miles which I find strange.

2 Questions,

Is this covered by the 6month warranty i was offered by the dealer when i bought the car? im guessing so.

And if not, how much would it cost to repair or replace?

Please help

Thanks

BYprodriver 11-10-2009 01:04 PM

39K miles is good for a Boxster clutch you may find it is the 2nd clutch you are replacing. Clutch is about $600. US & another $700 if the flywheel is worn since it canot be resurfaced. Labor is about $800. Hopefully you have a written warranty which says the clutch is covered. The Boxster is one of the most difficult cars to start off in without slipping the clutch & this is what causes wear

j.fro 11-10-2009 03:07 PM

There are plenty of Boxsters out there with lots of miles on the original clutch. I bought my '00 986S in '05 with 60,000 on the car, and there was no record of the clutch being replaced. The car now has 126,000, including 3 seasons of AX on the same clutch .

If you need a clutch, try an independent mechanic. For the clutch and flywheel you've got a few different options. Search this site.

DANMKII 11-10-2009 06:18 PM

can you describe the clutch smell? I notice burning smell too, but I think it has to do with something else as described by other owners and not the clutch

Does the clutch slip? grab high?

blue2000s 11-10-2009 07:07 PM

A Boxster's clutch can most definitely go more than 50,000 miles so don't go by mileage as a guideline for replacement. Unless you're riding the clutch, it shouldn't smell like it's burning. Even if it's worn out.

My guess is that you've got a broken cv boot and you've got grease burning on the exhaust system or an oil leak somewhere that's dripping on the exhaust.

babyboxster 11-11-2009 04:15 AM

Thanks folks for your replies, much appreciated!

There appears to be a burning smell coming form the air intakes on the sides which I have been told is the clutch.

I'm having to rev quite a bit before the car begins to move as well in first gear.

However, I do agree with some of the comments on this thread regarding mileage. I find it strange that the clutch has gone after 39k miles.

The dealer has said its not covered in the warranty and so far, I have been given a quote of £600 for parts and labour????

Thanks again

lardog 11-11-2009 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver
39K miles is good for a Boxster clutch you may find it is the 2nd clutch you are replacing. Clutch is about $600. US & another $700 if the flywheel is worn since it canot be resurfaced. Labor is about $800. Hopefully you have a written warranty which says the clutch is covered. The Boxster is one of the most difficult cars to start off in without slipping the clutch & this is what causes wear

the most difficult cars to start off in without slipping the clutch?
:eek:
That’s a bunch of crap. where did you come up with that?

sb01box 11-12-2009 05:58 AM

[QUOTE=babyboxster]Thanks folks for your replies, much appreciated!

There appears to be a burning smell coming form the air intakes on the sides which I have been told is the clutch.

I'm having to rev quite a bit before the car begins to move as well in first gear.

my 2 cent
If you have to rev (a clutch vehicle) for the car to move, you definitely have a clutch problem. burnt and scorched such that the contact surface has no grip and thus burnt smell...

on a flat road, I can almost fully engage the clutch at idle - very much like the air cooled VW beetle. I don't understand all the clutch problem posts other than conclude that every stop and go is a full rev power launch
01 5 speed with 96K miles on original clutch

BYprodriver 11-12-2009 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lardog
the most difficult cars to start off in without slipping the clutch?
:eek:
That’s a bunch of crap. where did you come up with that?

Test driving cars for PCNA for 3 years :p

jmatta 11-12-2009 06:59 AM

Just a thought, but perhaps you have an RMS leak and you've oiled the clutch disk?