986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Fabspeed bypass pipes - worth it?? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/21969-fabspeed-bypass-pipes-worth.html)

thehighheelsgirl 10-01-2009 02:33 PM

Think I'll be calling a tow truck if I ever get a flat tire in this car!

jmatta 10-01-2009 03:24 PM

I had a flat rear this summer..ruined the tire 'cause I drove on it. The wheel fit in the frunk without issue (18x10). Don't mind the stuff on the rim, it washed right off...good thing I always carry towels in the trunk.

Oh yea, I love the sound of my car with the Fabspeed bypass pipes.

jaykay 10-02-2009 06:53 PM

i carry a compressor and the goo....as well as the spare

yes I am not sure what else you would do if you have a passenger!

the GF or the wheel......hmmmm I have three piece sport classic IIs so.... :rolleyes:

edevlin 10-02-2009 11:13 PM

"I had a flat rear this summer..ruined the tire 'cause I drove on it."

Wow, that tire is not getting patched, how far did you drive on it to make it look like that?

Ed

:cheers:

Johnny Danger 10-03-2009 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23109VC
If I were to have about $500 burning a hole in my pocket, and used it to buy these bypass pipes and put them onto my 2000 2.7L 5 speed - am I really going to notice any difference in speed or sound?

i've read claims of 8hp and more torque - which some people could feel via the butt-dyno.... just curious if anyone here thinks that on a 2.7L car, this mod would actually make the car feel quicker?

I'm in CA - so I need to stay smog legal. Pelican parts website says the secondary cats are unnecessary, that it won't throw a CEL and that it will still pass smog. That true? why did Porsche put those cats there if we don't "need' them?

does it sound tons better once these cats are gone?

I'm also thinking of putting the Pedro techno-torque onto my car - wondering if the combo of that plus the bypass pipes might give the car a little more zip!

thanks.

Having two sets of cats is like having two more big toes ! They serve no purpose but to satisfy "Uncle Sugar" and his OBD II requirements. Get rid of them, and free up some excess weight and perhaps create a better flowing exhaust while retaining some needed back pressure.

jmatta 10-03-2009 07:15 AM

Wow, that tire is not getting patched, how far did you drive on it to make it look like that?

I drove a little over a mile under 25 mph to get to a safe spot. I run around -2.5* camber in the rear which helped rip it up a bit. I knew the tire wouldn't be repairable anyway, but didn't want to ruin the rim, so I took it easy on the shoulder. Looks like the tires when they flat them in F1!

I think the Fabspeed pipes area great investment in sound and perhaps HP, though I have no evidence of that. It did take significant weight off the rear and did I mention the sound?

sd_boxster 10-03-2009 08:32 AM

Today, Mrs. sd_boxster told me over breakfast how happy she was that our Boxster sounds "throaty". While out walking this AM she came across a guy in a stock Box and described his exhaust note as "just sad."

Fabspeed, I have a slogan suggestion: "Exhaust mods even the wife will love!"

jmatta, not sure how you got your wheel into the frunk, as my 17" wouldn't go. I haven't tried since... maybe I was too busy being irritated about having a flat to puzzle through getting the wheel to fit, though it being round and all limits the number of configurations one has to try... :D

jmatta 10-04-2009 12:47 PM

not sure how you got your wheel into the frunk

Perhaps it was because it was so flat and compressed...I was very careful the lid closed without issue.

Banana S 10-31-2009 06:37 PM

Fabspeed bypass pipes arrived today...

I ordered a set of Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes this week and received them today. My observations, in no particular order:

- The pipes are VERY nice quality. Very impressive, although for the price I suppose they should be.

- No instructions came with the pipes, which doesn't really bother me, but some people might find that disconcerting.

- Porsche's choice in hardware sucks. Just sucks. Sucks hard. Really. There are ten (10) bolts holding the stock cat bypass pipes to the muffler and the headers. Seven (7) of the ten (10) bolts broke immediately upon trying to remove them. (And I sprayed all of them with WD-40 first.) One (1) nut was so rusted that I could not get the socket on it firmly, and I ended up rounding the edges of the nut. Had to use a Sawzall to remove that nut. The remaining two (2) nuts, which happened to be the two (2) nuts that are hardest to reach (at the top of the flange connecting the secondary cats to the headers), were TACK-WELDED to the headers! Yep, some genius attached the secondary cats to the headers, then once the nuts were tight, he tack-welded the nuts to the headers. Brilliant. I was able to remove one of those two nuts with a combination of a Dremel tool, a Sawzall, and a die grinder. I'm going to finish removing the last nut tomorrow, after I buy another Dremel tool. (In fairness, this one was on its last legs anyway.)

- Because the four (4) bolts closest to the muffler broke (or had to be cut off with a Sawzall) when I tried to remove them, I'll need to pick up four new nuts & bolts at the hardware store tomorrow while I'm picking up that new Dremel. To those planning to do this install yourselves, I'd recommend picking up those four bolts beforehand.

- It's been said plenty before, but it bears repeating: The Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes are MUCH lighter than the stock secondary cats.

Can't wait to finish the job tomorrow and see how it drives & sounds.

2K3_Boxster_S 10-31-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banana S
One (1) nut was so rusted that I could not get the socket on it firmly, and

Just curious what year is your Boxster? I recently removed entire exhaust including headers and every bolt broke lose with ease. I think my car has been garaged its entire life also. maybe that makes a difference.

Banana S 10-31-2009 07:50 PM

Mine is a 2002 and spent its first 6 years in Chicago, where I believe it was driven year-round. When I had the PPI done a year ago, the mechanic even said that he rarely sees Porsches with the degree of cosmetic road-salt corrosion on the bottom of the car that this car had. (Although he also told me not to worry about it, and that it should not deter me from buying the car.)

I take it you did not have the two tack-welded bolts on your car?

2K3_Boxster_S 10-31-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Mine is a 2002 and spent its first 6 years in Chicago, where I believe it was driven year-round. When I had the PPI done a year ago, the mechanic even said that he rarely sees Porsches with the degree of cosmetic road-salt corrosion on the bottom of the car that this car had. (Although he also told me not to worry about it, and that it should not deter me from buying the car.)

I take it you did not have the two tack-welded bolts on your car?

Lol, nope. This Car started out life in FL. made its way to NJ. I picked it up from a private dealership, All Benz's on the lot except the Boxster. I guess someone traded for a Benz. The car fax was super clean. but there still something fishy about it. When I was doing the Exhaust I noticed one side of the car has brand new rear control arm and rear brace. still had parts sticker on it. Oh well. it drives fine. I think it was hit in the back. some one did a damn good job on the paint or either it was fish tailed into a curb maybe :confused: Good Luck it should sound better with those CATS gone. Next you gotta lose the front CATS.

Daniel R 10-31-2009 11:25 PM

I made my own bypass pipes from 2" stainless to match the after-market headers I put on previously. Had to modify the way it connected to my still stock muffler, we ended up making flanges for the back end of the bypass pipes and attaching it to the muffler like that rather than with the u-bolts.

The results???

Honestly, the sound is not a lot different, slightly improved but nothing dramatic. I am sure there is some extra power without the cats, they are quite restrictive components, but not enough for the butt dyno to really detect it. The weight saving is an obvious benefit, and was enough for me to justify the mod. Then again, in Australia we do not have to go through any annual compliance checks, once a car is registered it will never be inspected as long as the registration stays paid up. If I had to take them on and off every year I would not have bothered with it.

jmatta 11-01-2009 07:31 AM

Yep, some genius attached the secondary cats to the headers, then once the nuts were tight, he tack-welded the nuts to the headers.

The genius was the factory...my uppers were welded on as well.

I changed mine out at around 12k miles, so I was shocked at how easily all the hardware came apart without issue.

Banana S 11-01-2009 01:57 PM

Done!

Finished the install this morning before heading out to the Colts game. (7-0, baby! :D ) Add "hacksaw" to the list of tools I needed to complete the job. (I couldn't reach the top tack-welded bolt on the passenger side with the new Dremel. )

I have the "holes-drilled-into-the-muffler-chamber mod" as well, and with the secondary cats gone, the sound is PERFECT to my ears. Not loud, just a deeper rumble. I'm very pleased with the results. The car feels just a bit torquier, too. Nothing major, but definitely different.

My FVD Brombacher software should be here this week too, to complete this year's round of mods. I should get another couple weeks to enjoy it before it starts getting too cold to have fun here in central Indiana.

yellowboxster01 11-02-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Finished the install this morning before heading out to the Colts game. (7-0, baby! :D ) Add "hacksaw" to the list of tools I needed to complete the job. (I couldn't reach the top tack-welded bolt on the passenger side with the new Dremel. )

Did you replace the hardware with factory nuts and bolts? Copper nuts? If not, I'd suggest that. When replacing my catalytic converter pipes with bypass pipes, the muffler shop who bolted them on used normal hardware store hardware. When I pulled them off to replace the whole thing with a Fabspeed setup, the bolts had warped and loosened themselves. Before bolting up the Fabspeed, I went down to my mechanic and paid $6 for the correct nuts and bolts.

Banana S 11-02-2009 07:23 PM

Fabspeed supplies copper nuts for the header flange bolts now. I'll re-check the tightness of all hardware after ~500 miles and will add some Loc-Tite if anything has loosened up.

BYprodriver 11-04-2009 11:31 AM

Hey can anyone post weight of the bypass pipes &/or factory cat. converters?

Daniel R 11-05-2009 06:12 AM

I have my set of cats at work. Won't be back there until Monday (it's the missus' birthday tomorrow) but I will bring them home and put them on the scales.

I know where you are coming from, there is such a variance in the purported weight saving with the installation of bypass pipes, it is a good idea for someone to actually weigh them and post a real figure.

All I can say until then is that the cats are quite heavy and the weight saving is worthwhile. My estimate is about a 15lb to 20lb saving removing them, but I will have the exact figure soon.