986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   2000 boxster 2.7 - no power (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/21805-2000-boxster-2-7-no-power.html)

pippuppy 08-22-2009 05:13 AM

2000 boxster 2.7 - no power

Hi all
I'm in Australia and have just joined the forum. A couple of days ago i bought a 2000 Porsche Boxter 2.7 manual with 72,000 klm on the clock. Prior to the purchase I had a bmw z3 2.8 manual.
The Boxster is a one elderly lady owner vehicle. From what I was told its furtherest trip in its life was a 150klm run north of the state. The majority of its life was puttering around the city suburbs.
It was rarely driven over 3000 revs and never flogged. Only once the owner saw the rear spoiler rise in that period of time.
Now to my problem - it doesn't have any get up and go. It idles nicely - no dead or flat spots - no warning lights for fault codes. On the road it will rev out smoothly to 5000 to 6000 with no miss or roughness.
If i plant my foot to the floor in either 3rd 4th or5th gear it just takes off like a small 2litre car. On hill that the z3 ran over easily I have to change back put my foot down - but nothing happens.
Its definately no-where near as powerful as the z3 2.8 and I was under the inpression this car was better and quicker.
At this stage the only thing I could think of is a sparkplug change. That i haven"t done yet. Any ideas on the correct plugs The ones in the car have had about 3 or 4 years of town running only. This Boxster has had regular services and very well cared for but I'm probably the first person in some time to try it out in the higher rev range.
As mentioned earlier both the elderly owner didnt exceed the 3000 to 3500 rpm range.
Any info would be greatly appreciated as is a great car to drive and well ahead of the z3
Regards Graham

turbo23dog 08-22-2009 05:53 AM

Service intervals are at 30K and 60K miles (not kms). Did you get any service records from the seller? That would be good to know before you start spending on tune up parts.

For starters, I'd disconnect the battery for an hour to clear anything the computer has learned from the previous owner's driving style. Before you try this, make sure you have the code to unlock the radio when you reconnect the battery. If you don't have the code, do a search here to find out how to get the code. Dealerships can look it up but they may charge you. Renntech.com has ways to look up for free.

I'd also try a bottle of Techron fuel system or fuel injector cleaner which should be avail in any auto parts chain in your part of the globe.

pippuppy 08-22-2009 03:56 PM

turbo23dog

hi
thanks for the reply. was unaware that the computer in the boxster tracking another persons driving style.
will try out what you mentioned then add a bottle of injection cleaner.
might also try and get a new fuel filter
thanks

RandallNeighbour 08-22-2009 07:28 PM

It could be your fuel pump going out. Do add the fuel additive. If that doesn't work, I'd get it into a shop and have a Porsche certified technician diagnose and correct the problem.

"A little old lady Porsche"

That's a first for me.

Sputter 08-23-2009 11:41 AM

Heh, she must be a pretty spry elderly woman.
A short trip used car isn't always a good buy for a number of reasons. BTW, you can't see the spoiler come up while driving :P
Maybe it just needs an Italian tuneup.

:cheers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pippuppy
Hi all
I'm in Australia and have just joined the forum. A couple of days ago i bought a 2000 Porsche Boxter 2.7 manual with 72,000 klm on the clock. Prior to the purchase I had a bmw z3 2.8 manual.
The Boxster is a one elderly lady owner vehicle. From what I was told its furtherest trip in its life was a 150klm run north of the state. The majority of its life was puttering around the city suburbs.
It was rarely driven over 3000 revs and never flogged. Only once the owner saw the rear spoiler rise in that period of time.
Now to my problem - it doesn't have any get up and go. It idles nicely - no dead or flat spots - no warning lights for fault codes. On the road it will rev out smoothly to 5000 to 6000 with no miss or roughness.
If i plant my foot to the floor in either 3rd 4th or5th gear it just takes off like a small 2litre car. On hill that the z3 ran over easily I have to change back put my foot down - but nothing happens.
Its definately no-where near as powerful as the z3 2.8 and I was under the inpression this car was better and quicker.
At this stage the only thing I could think of is a sparkplug change. That i haven"t done yet. Any ideas on the correct plugs The ones in the car have had about 3 or 4 years of town running only. This Boxster has had regular services and very well cared for but I'm probably the first person in some time to try it out in the higher rev range.
As mentioned earlier both the elderly owner didnt exceed the 3000 to 3500 rpm range.
Any info would be greatly appreciated as is a great car to drive and well ahead of the z3
Regards Graham