Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #1

Smile brake assistance

porsche maintenance manual in hand and about to do the front brakes on my non s 2001 porsche, anything I need to know or special equipment I should have on hand before I begin? I just love this site , so many like minded people.
cheers

mstimely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #2

What exactly do you mean by "do the brakes"? Swapping pads? Swapping Pads and Rotors? Flush and Bleed the system? Replace Caliper seals and dust seals? All of the above?

If just swapping pads, has you brake wear indicator come on? If so, you need to replace them. Also, if your fluid reservoir is full, you need to extract some fluid with a Turkey Baster or similar tool before pushing the pistons back into the caliper or the fluid will overflow into the 'frunk'.

If flushing/bleeding, use a power bleeder. It is more efficient and easier than pumping the brakes. Also, using the pedal pump method on a 9 year old car is an easy way to blow the master cylinder.

Inspect the rotors to be sure they're within spec and also check the face to be sure that they are not excessively grooved. If so, you should have them turned.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 08-03-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #3

You'll need needle-nose pliers to get the cotter pin out of the retaining pin that holds the pads in place, and a small screwdriver and a mallet to tap the pin out. Oh, and a magnetic part grabber to retrieve the damn pin when it lands somewhere in the suspension.

Boxster brakes are CAKE if you're just doing the pads. You'll spend far more time pulling the wheels off than anything else.