986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Cheap HP? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/2114-cheap-hp.html)

YellowJacket 02-24-2005 06:52 AM

Why is everyone getting all offended by everything in here?

Icebox -- calm down, have a beer, relax. Not everyone is jealous of this kid. Nor does everyone equate verbose commentaries preaching maturity with maturity itself.

And to Jeannot -- French bashing is a part of American culture. And 99% of the time (including our site-owner's comments), it's done in a completely lighthearted fashion. You can't rid the world of sarcasm, so you might as well make a snide comment back and enjoy the friendly banter!

So.... back to those cheap HP ideas... anyone want to post some links for this kid?

Adam 02-24-2005 07:14 AM

If the kid wants wants the most bang for his buck, the way to go would be a nitrous oxide system. There are plenty that can be had for well under 2k, but I'm sure parts and labor could be a lil pricey depending on the whether it is a wet or dry setup.

IceBox 02-25-2005 12:07 AM

I don't recall equating my point of view as any apparent sign of maturity. Perhaps that's what you saw in it. Be that as it may, I still haven't seen any HP options from your end, which remains the primary thrust of my observation. I don't believe everyone experiences a streak of envy when a young guy steps into what others take years of effort to achieve, but I'd bet more than a few here do. I think I may have inferred as much so to clarify: I know not everyone is envious, ok? There. That's settled. Now maybe you might offer an Hp option like the guy originally asked :rolleyes: ,<---See? A happy kinda face!

Brucelee 02-25-2005 05:18 AM

Suggest you lighten up! The comment was made in light hearted jest. Keep in mind that to my mind, car companies who do not sell to the world's most vibrant auto market, ie, the US, are not really world class companies. This is just my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, Nissan does sell here but their products are thoroughly Japanese, no?

So, you are free to like or dislike my comments, which only represent my own views, and not the views of mangement etc.! :)

Candidly, there has been enough US/Euro bashing on both sides to last many lifetimes.! Lets not add to that fact.

:cheers:

"You can dislike their cars (and so do I), and you might think that they are not existent because they are not on US roads anymore...but surely, the humorous statement from above is not supported by facts, but by something more down the line of a widely accepted and politically tainted French bashing "fashion", which, as a European I find quite unfortunate, especially when it is coming from the site owner."

Brucelee 02-25-2005 05:19 AM

I like the nitrous idea, does anyone have any experience with this set up on a BOX?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
If the kid wants wants the most bang for his buck, the way to would be a nitrous oxide system. There are plenty that can be had for under 2k, but I'm sure parts and labor would be a lil pricey.

Subanez 02-25-2005 10:30 AM

Tool pants sent me a picture once of a box with a nitrous bottle in the back.

I couldn't sleep for days ;-)

Adam 02-25-2005 02:27 PM

Nice, I've never seen it done to a boxster but I don't see why you couldn't. Tool Pants, please do share.

wpwalsh 02-28-2005 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceBox
Frankly I'm suprised at all the back-handed comments regarding this guy's age. Seems to me he's gone out of his way to find an informative site and has asked the question we all ask; 'How can my Boxster go faster'. And in reply, most people are making broad assumptions regarding the' stupid' things he's likely to do. At 16, Sebastion Bourdais competed at Le Mans, surely he had the talent and intelligence to snag the ride. I suspect no one said 'Sacre Blue' which should be spelt 'Bleu', by the way. I wont make any judgement calls on that poster's brain-power based on a spelling mistake. Nor will I point out that 22 is a tiny hop from 16, and in no way speaks to any greater degree of wisdom or skill. And aren't we all in a position to consider ourselves lucky that we can afford to drive a Boxster? At 16 or 60? I'd now go get a hair-cut but genetics and time have taken care of that option, and as for homework, I never did it when I had it! And don't anybody get their panties in a twist, just think how you'd feel if you went to ask for some helpful suggestions, and got some of these responses instead.

Okay Dad...I appreciate your help, but I am 16, you know, and perfectly capable of defending myself!

Adam 02-28-2005 06:28 PM

Whoa! After 3pages of posts you appear. So what did you decide to do? Nitrous?

tqtran 03-01-2005 04:40 AM

You guys are hilarious :cheers:

IceBox 03-01-2005 03:19 PM

:eek: .............

Brucelee 03-01-2005 03:27 PM

I declare this thread officially over!

:)

graybeard 03-01-2005 04:06 PM

I just finished reading 3 pages of post and see how easy it to get people up in arms. Wo I assume that is wo as in yeah a boxster, we may have all taken a different path to get here but all agree on one thing "WO A BOXSTER". I don't know of much that can be done to get more ponies out of these cars without major bucks, as far as tires are concerned I've just replaced the set of Kuhmos that that were installed when I bought the car (about 24000 miles ago) higher milage less stick, I am one of those who don't come close to the cars potential, put kuhmos back on, if you are not going to track the car my bet is they will be fine. Take pride in one of the world's finest autos.

Brucelee 03-01-2005 06:25 PM

"Take pride in one of the world's finest autos."

Amen, Amen!

blinkwatt 09-30-2005 11:04 PM

Ges,I am turning 18 and have paid off almost half my boxster(dont worry i paid every penny on it and my insurance). I will not even tamper with the cars mechanics,as I have learned how great the car is by driving around 10 cars before i made up my mind. The only parts i have considered changing are the cheap plastic shift knob to a MOMO Anatomic(adds class,and feels more natural) and updating the lights(a more new look). I dont mean to sound like a grumpy person but everyone is right,you need to learn how to "unleash the beast". Dont just try to use the car for stupid street races with your friends(I am assuming your still in high school),learn the cars full potential(if you havent realized how well the car handles you shouldnt be driving it). Being so young you could learn how to proper shift,and i could use a brushing up on it as well.

Dr. Kill 10-11-2005 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
Suggest you lighten up! The comment was made in light hearted jest. Keep in mind that to my mind, car companies who do not sell to the world's most vibrant auto market, ie, the US, are not really world class companies. This is just my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Nah, I have to disagree with you. The French ARE a bunch of tools, but their cars are pretty good these days. I had the privilege of renting a Peugeot 407 last time I was over there and really enjoyed my Alps to Belgium round-trip. It was a very competent vehicle – great suspension and brakes. It was a bit underpowered, but hey, it is Europe, everything is over there due to the taxes– of course there are some exceptions, like the mid-mounted V8 Renault Clio – one of the most spectacular (and ridiculous) cars on the road, and also French…

WoBoxster 10-11-2005 04:44 PM

Just alittle up date to you all. I have not done anything with my Box. After lot a research on preformace parts for the Box i relized i didn't have the money for the kind of HP i was looking for. Right now the only thing i am looking at for my Box is new tires. The tires still have plenty of tread, but they are the original tires and they are all weather cracked.