Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 07:12 AM   #1

Unhappy White Smoke.

There is no mix of coolant and oil. It goes away after warm up. I am thinking that it is condensation in the exhaust. Last night the exhaust had a rotten egg smell. It did not do it today though.(Yesterday was warm, Today was colder?)

I put some fuel system cleaner in it and filled my tank last night.(I was on E-nough driving)

Any ideas on the cause. I am hoping condensation.

Thank you.

BoxsterS21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #2

A puff of white smoke (burned oil) is normal at startup. Can be worse if the car is parked facing up hill for a time. It's just the nature of the flat boxer engine.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #3

If it's just a puff upon start up, the occasional plume is a common attribute of our engine design.

Quite often it is the first thing that brings new mwmbers to the forum so there are many threads about it.

smoke
Cloud of smoke -Porsche Boxster 2000
etc

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:13 AM   #4

Cool

White smoke tells me water, not oil which is usually blue in color. It is a lot of smoke though. It barrels out like a cloud and travels with the wind. It is no small cloud.
BoxsterS21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #5

I think the color varies with the oil. My Shell Helix seems to be quite white, but the smell is unmistakably oil.

So far I've only had one really large cloud per about 50 starts, I had to walk out of the garage and wait for it to dissipate. That happened after moving the cold car from a flat surface to an incline without letting it warm up, and then back to the flat surface... an hour later I started it and got a huge cloud.

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote