Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Question for Brad in the bang for buck dept. I have been thinking that a quaffe LSD, the more expensive drop links and the friction brake kits might be a better upgrade than simply seeking HP & torque, just wondering what mods you would do on a street only unit.
Sorry.. I missed a few of these

Unless you have a BoxsterS, then limited slip is not really needed for the street. I'm not sure what "friction brake kit" is?

B

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
Not sure I follow your question? but.. When you go to the GT3 bar up front? it requires shorter length links or the GT3 style "collar" lengths.

B
sorry I should have been more clear. this thread started with conversion to M030 suspension parts. my understanding is that the parts (sway bars) are basically the same geometry as standard boxster pieces, but stiffer.
in browsing through the 986 catalogue, the factory drop links are the same part number for the front and the rear (left right is different).
my question is/was if i'm just replacing the drop links and not the sway bar, can the same length (Design911 or Tarett) drop links be used for the front and the back.
thanks in advance.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #23

Cool!

Then YES!! You can run qty. 4 of the Tarett rear links

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #24

I just emailed them too, Lucky, I know it's been a while, but are you sure on the rear size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna986
Lucky,
I just confirmed with the company they don't have the 205-255.
Could you confirm that's the size you used for the rears?
Old 09-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #25

BobMarley1 & wanna986,

I checked my records & I did use 205-255mm links for the rear. I guess Design911 doesn't have that length anymore. As others have said, you can go same length front & rear, so you can use the shortest ones they sell (just set them to about 190-195mm).

I went longer in the back since my car is lowered slightly and I wanted to put the sway bar level at nominal ride height.

One word of caution on the Design911 links: I did have the lock nut loosen up on the front left drop-link with a rattle developing as a result. Some blue locktight and a re-torqueing of the lock nuts and all is quiet again.

While not perfect and certainly not up to the quality level of Tarett, I am still happy with the Design911 as a very low-budget alternative.

BTW, I'm not endorsing any product and certainly YMMV. I'm simply sharing my experiences with the Design911 DesignTech drop links.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
BobMarley1 & wanna986,

I checked my records & I did use 205-255mm links for the rear. I guess Design911 doesn't have that length anymore. As others have said, you can go same length front & rear, so you can use the shortest ones they sell (just set them to about 190-195mm).
Thanks for checking, Lucky.
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #27
onshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
The key is: they will work for people who never track their car or autoX it... or drive 10 seconds off the pace of class leaders in TT's or races.

I instruct people at track events. One of the things I teach is: what the car feels like when a link is broken. I purposely remove a link from the front and have them do a session, then remove a link from the back. Most drivers don't like surprises.

The stock ones break. These will break. Nobody sues Porsche when their plastic ones break (that I'm aware of) and doubt anyone will sue if one of these break.

I highly suggest ANYONE tracking their cars to "test" with and without a link attached. Get used to the feeling so it does not surprise you when one does fail.

B
I just started AXing with my stock '99 Boxster and plan on doing it more. Would you mind sharing with us newbies to the sport what it is we should be hearing, feeling or seeing when a drop link fails? Thanks from a novice who's having fun with his car.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #28

Thanks Lucky

btw, your mailbox is full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
BobMarley1 & wanna986,

I went longer in the back since my car is lowered slightly and I wanted to put the sway bar level at nominal ride height.

One word of caution on the Design911 links: I did have the lock nut loosen up on the front left drop-link with a rattle developing as a result. Some blue locktight and a re-torqueing of the lock nuts and all is quiet again.

While not perfect and certainly not up to the quality level of Tarett, I am still happy with the Design911 as a very low-budget alternative.

BTW, I'm not endorsing any product and certainly YMMV. I'm simply sharing my experiences with the Design911 DesignTech drop links.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #29

?

Where these difficult to install?
Did you have to get the front end re-aligned?
Old 09-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #30

my car came with the M030 as a factory added option. Do cars such as mine, that had this option pre-installed - have the same crappy drop links that "standard" cars have, or did they upgrade these on M030 equpped cars?

i'm guessing I"ve got the standard crap ones. if these mods truly make a substantial difference in ride quality/ handling, I"m pickiong a set up.

my only question is - for a car like mine, which is street driven, maybe 3000 miles per year - and will possibly see ONE track day per year.... are the ones the original poster bought adequate, or would I be well advised to buy the Tarrett / $$$ ones???

thanks for any input.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
my car came with the M030 as a factory added option. Do cars such as mine, that had this option pre-installed - have the same crappy drop links that "standard" cars have, or did they upgrade these on M030 equpped cars?

i'm guessing I"ve got the standard crap ones. if these mods truly make a substantial difference in ride quality/ handling, I"m pickiong a set up.

my only question is - for a car like mine, which is street driven, maybe 3000 miles per year - and will possibly see ONE track day per year.... are the ones the original poster bought adequate, or would I be well advised to buy the Tarrett / $$$ ones???

thanks for any input.
you likely have the standard ones. I just ordered a set of the taretts (drop links), so I'll be interested to see if I notice any difference with my stock sways/suspension ('02 base) and these upgraded links. I'll post up results in another thread.
jjanari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #32
Bob Hindson Racing

M030 does not change the drop links.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:54 AM   #33

what is the consensus for us guys who will do "spririted" street driving, and NO track events? are these Design911 drop links okay?

I mean, I might track my car once a year, and if/when I do, I'm a novice driver, NOT driving at a truly competitive pace.

am I setting myself up for some major failure/possible crash by getting these cheaper drop links? will the Tarretts make the car handle any BETTER or is it just that the Tarretts are better made and will last longer/not break/not rattle?

it sounds like upgrading my drop links will make a nice improvement in handling feel - for a reasonable price - which is what I"m after. If I can accomplish the same thing for $200 instead of $500, I'm all for saving a buck, but not if it TRULY is a safety hazard.

are these pretty easy to put in? if I did go with the cheaper set, and developed a rattle, i assume the bolts/hardware is easy to get to from under the car and could be tightened up relatively simply???

thanks for any input!

2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.

Last edited by 23109VC; 09-29-2009 at 10:18 AM.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote