Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 12:02 AM   #1

AfterMarket Stereo.

Has anyone out there done an Aftermarket stereo upgrade to their Boxster? Just a stock standard cd player unit with iPod connectivity. Any professional installs? I went to a local stereo install shop, and got quoted close to $500 bucks. I don't want anything custom. I just want to use the stock Bose speakers, with a simple off the shelf single disc/iPod control head unit. $500+ seemed to much as Its only run a few hundred bucks for my SUV. (Jeep Cherokee) I have thought of going to a chain like Best Buy, but just don't trust them to tear into a Boxster, as I think they are more use to a Kids' Honda. Any input or experiences out there, pics? Should I just buy the gear myself and give it a shot? I'm a good mechanic but don't know too much about stereos.Thanks all....

-Victory 3
2000 Boxster S Arctic Silver

Last edited by victory3; 05-28-2009 at 12:04 AM.
victory3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:32 AM   #2

Smile

The way the stereo is intalled will make a big difference. You don't want it to look like crap... Get a few more quotes. You have the bose speakers, you are pretty well off. Just go with a place that will stand behind their work and you will have no worries. Installing a new deck can be a big pain. A lot of wires and you don't want to mess up the wrong one. YOu could fry the entire system. 500.00 for a good radio with install isn't to bad. Look on the bright side, if Best buy were to screw anything up, they are forced to replace anything that is damaged.

Good luck.

P.S. Where are you Located?
BoxsterS21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:42 AM   #3

Save the $500.00 check out www.crutchfield.com, they have conversion harnesses and tech support that should make the installation a DIY if you have the desire to attempt it.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #4

STAY AWAY from any big box type car audio shop with a German car. You want to find a competent shop that has done work like this before.

Feel free to search for my prior posts (as well as those of others- TriGem being one) on this topic for more info.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #5

I upgraded to a JVC unit with DVD and monitor. The tech said it was a pain in the... He was also installing in a new Ferrari in the shop so I trusted them. The JVC unit was not as expensive as the install. The install of the mike, iPod cable, disconnecting the brake-monitor shutoff, and extras added up. In the end the sound is much better with the factory speakers and the new head unit. Total cost was in the $700 range.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #6

I definately recommend Crutchfeld. I purchased an excellent pioneer unit with aux cable for my iphone, XM sat radio, CD, AM/FM and USB. Paid for the crutchfeld installatin at their recommended local shop. Total price about $400-450 with installation. I was so pleased, I had the same shop install my rear speakers (IMO the best addition to the car).
Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #7

With your non-MOST car it should not be a problem upgrading.

Crutchfield is my favorite electronics store, but they had no info on my Box when I checked. Maybe due to MOST bus.

And I too have heard horror stories about big box stores butchering Hondas, WRXs and the like. No telling what they could do to a really fine automobile.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #8

I just put in an Alpine CDE-9872 that I got from Crutchfield. crutchfield gives very easy, siimple directions. It also came with a connector for the iPod. I spent less than $250 for everything. Looks and works great
ocdbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #9

I have MOST, so I couldn't just do a headunit swap. Here's what I did...

JVC KD-AVX44 piggyback on CDR-23

I did all the work myself. I would not trust my Boxster to the twentysomething guys working at Best Buy, and I couldn't afford the $2500 for an AVIC swap from La Jolla Audio (if I _had_ an extra $2500 to burn, I would definitely have let La Jolla Audio do their magic... )