Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #1

Worn rear tires after 9K miles on Boxster

The rear tires on my 2003 Boxster are very worn. More on the right tire than the left. Could it be a mechanical problem?

pinkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #2

Most likely alignment problem.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #3

7,500 = 12,000 miles is about all you get on the rears on our cars. The negative camber settings really wear out the insides of the tires, but it also gives your car better and safer handling around corners so it's a tradeoff most find worth the cost.

When you put new tires on the rear, have a four wheel alignment done. It may be that one of the rears is not in alignment and that has caused one to wear more than the other. Two other causes are taking left or right turns much harder or faster, or one tire being pumped up with more air than the other.

Welcome to the expensive world of Porsche ownership. I budget $650 a year for rubber and replace all four about once every 2 years with light driving.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:43 AM   #4

I get 2 sets of rears to one set of fronts. If I get 12 or 13K out of a set of Kumho rears I consider myself lucky. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:54 AM   #5

Garage
The right rear always wears more because it's the "drive" wheel. You want equal wear on both rears? You need a true posi rearend.

Sounds like you work that Boxster pretty hard, rock on!
Old 05-18-2009, 04:12 AM   #6

I am lucky if I get 7K out of a set of rears (PS2's). I went through 3 sets of rears to one set of fronts, and the fronts were still in OK shape. I just put on four new PS2's (1,250.00) a week ago, they did great in the rain on a trip from Virgnia to Florida. BTW, this was the first long trip 750 miles, 11+ hours) in my GT3 seats. For me, they were great, at least as comfortable as the stock seats.

Ed

:dance:

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:41 AM   #7

Smile Newbie question

What are PS2s? It's another one of those TLAs.
ChefCarnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:01 AM   #8

PS2's = Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's

In my opinion one of the best and consistent street tire out there for the money. They are expensive and I personally only get about 12-14 months out of a set of rears on a factory alignment settings (I need to check millage, I generally do not pay attention to that).

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote